• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 cherokee automatic-wont hold in 1st?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 cherokee with an auto trans,4.0 liter, when in first gear and accelerating it shifts into 2nd gear same when in 1st and trying to descent in 4wd it gets to a certain speed and into second I go. Lots of fun with wet brakes on a steep hill! I can put a new 7.5 amp fuse in the trans slot in the fuse block and it will hold in first gear for a few minutes and back into second it goes and the fuse blows. Anyone else encountered this??Thanks!

The floor shifter is on first gear when it happens

yeah my reverse lamps go out when the fuse blows, could the reverse lamps be the problem? maybe a short?

I'm not the smartest but if I unplug the light bulbs and take it for a drive and it the trans shifts fine , its in the reverse lamp circuit??

There is no "first gear position" for the AW4 unless you modify it. The low gear position is "1-2." It shifts because that's what it was designed to do.

There are numerous articles, both here on NAXJA and all over the Internet, on ways to wire toggle switches to override that and make it hold first gear when you want, but what you are describing is the normal operation of the transmission, not a malfunction.

Thanks Eagle, I had no idea, all I've driven is chevy autos. I thought they all held in first!. I scared my self a few times offroad going down steep grades with my brakes all wet. I'll do a search on the toggle thing . Thanks again.

Hi Eagle, I popped in a new 7.5 amp fuse in the trans slot of my fuse block, and the jeep held in fist gear going up and downhill on and off road, The fuse burned out on my way to work this morning. And back to shifting into second when in the fist shift position. Is this a malfunction?? To me it seems normal to hold in first

Back