• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Dilemma

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I just lifted it a bit more and put in a 4.5" lift from my buddys rolled XJ, and presently sitting at 4".
So here's the dilemma. The full leaf spring pack [it consists of three leafs] wasn't put in, because the bolts of my main are seized pretty bad and they'll just break to hell if they try to force them out, so mine have been left in. When the longer shocks were put in [as I know mine weren't long enough] my springs turn out they are the right height to level everything out. The leaf springs I have are a bastardized pack. My main leaf [which was at -2"] main/second from a dakota pack, main/second form an S10 cut down a bit shorter, and the lowest one from my XJ pack.
I could cut the eyes off the full spring pack and use that or keep it the way it is. Which is the better way to go and why? [flex, sagging in the future, etc etc.]
TIA

I have a complete set of dakota leafs with the eyes cut off under my xj mainspring. It gave me about 5 inches of lift and is very stiff...I like it this way because I regularly carry heavy loads and don't want it to sag anytime soon.

If you want 4" of lift...I would go with the whole pack with eyes removed and ditch the shortest leaf. Should give about 4 inches of lift.

Or, I have to replace my lefs as they are shot. It was explained to me that the front bolts are frozen to the bushing sleeve thus causing the bolt head to break off. This is avoided by using a angle grinder to cut the eye open on the mainspring, then cut away the bushing to expose the sleeve. Pry the sleeve apart to get it off then the bolt comes out easy. I have no choice on this one! :(

JohnX said:
I have a complete set of dakota leafs with the eyes cut off under my xj mainspring. It gave me about 5 inches of lift and is very stiff...I like it this way because I regularly carry heavy loads and don't want it to sag anytime soon.

If you want 4" of lift...I would go with the whole pack with eyes removed and ditch the shortest leaf. Should give about 4 inches of lift.

Haven't known anyone getting that much out of a dakota pack myself, but did you keep the overload leaf? I like most ditched at.
As for what I have now, I'm sitting at 4" with the bastardized packs I've done. The question is should I keep it or cut the eyes off the full lift leaf pack I have sitting there and switch them? That's the question.

klonestar said:
Or, I have to replace my lefs as they are shot. It was explained to me that the front bolts are frozen to the bushing sleeve thus causing the bolt head to break off. This is avoided by using a angle grinder to cut the eye open on the mainspring, then cut away the bushing to expose the sleeve. Pry the sleeve apart to get it off then the bolt comes out easy. I have no choice on this one! :(
OUCH! and pray it actually comes out eh? Let me know how this goes for ya. I'm worried about the bolt breaking just because of the rust as well. Gotta hate that sh*t!. Don't forget to take pics as ya go!

Yeah, I'll do pics for others when I do. Wont be for at least another 4-6 weeks. Maybe a little longer. Once the bolt is fully exposed you only need to deal with what little is in the nut. Im using plenty of PB Blaster right now for a few weeks. Will do the same for the exposed bolt. If it comes out ok I will replace it and clean out the nut and try antiseize or something for the future.

I saved the thread where I was told how to do it. The guy spent tons of time on one side trying to get the bolt out and broke it anyway. He decided to use the 'disect' method on the other side and spent less time doing that and it worked as well. So im not gonna play around and just cut them off and be done with it. Besides maybe I can use the long main leaf as an AAL in the new pack. If nothing else it will be a 1/4" spacer!

Back