• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to take off stock roor rack rails???

NorCalXj1121

NAXJA Forum User
this may be a stupid question but how do you take off the stock roof rack rails? i need to go pull some of an xj at a junk yard and i dont know what tools to bring. id appreciate the help.

On my '88, the rails are screwed on using "well nuts". These are rubber plugs with thread inserts. When you tighten them, the rubber expands, trapping the plug in place and water proofing the hole. Just unscrew them, and hope they don't start turning before you get them loose!

You'll also need a small Torx driver - T-15 or T-20, as I recall.

A little trick - once you get the screw loose, press down on the rail. There's a small flange on the well nut, and pressing down on the rail will trap that flange and help keep the well nut from turning.

The screws are a little silly, and so are the nuts. You'll probably have to go to the dealer to source replacements - I don't think they're a standard thread.

However, if you want to peel the rack entirely, I do know that a 1/4"-20 well nut will fit neatly in the hole. Use a brass screw, and some clear silicone sealer on both the screw threads and the nut body (mine haven't leaked in a couple years now...)

5-90

I removed the roof rack from my 96 recently, they were torx screws but more than 1 stripped on me or wouldn't come out (that nut-anchor they use just spun as I turned the nut). I had to drill them out so bring a cordless drill and PB blaster as well.

Each rail is held in place by six T-20 Torx screws. Using a ratchet with a Torx socket makes the job of removing (and reinstalling) the rails an easy job.

Back