• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to grind for a disc brake conversion on a D44.

wyrdvans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm using Crown Vic brackets for the disc brake conversion on my D44, but after a test fit I noticed that something needs to be ground for them to fit flush. I did the searching to confirm this but nobody ever says or shows what exactly they had to grind...is it the axle tube?, the bracket?, or both? Descriptions and pictures are welcome.

-Jason

No matter how many times you read something, it seems like you always pick up something new. Thanks for the link even though I've already read it.

I would still like to see a picture of a modified bracket showing what material was removed.

Grind the backing plate. Don't touch the axle. You also need to open up the hole on the drum e-brake bracket and the rotor.

opracer315 said:
Grind the backing plate. Don't touch the axle. You also need to open up the hole on the drum e-brake bracket and the rotor.
huh? There is a little piece of the axle housing flange that you have to grind on one side only.

Kejtar said:
huh? There is a little piece of the axle housing flange that you have to grind on one side only.
That would be the bottom side of the housind flange. I just started the same conversion, I'm only about 1/2 way done with the pass side though. I'm having some trouble with the ratainer plate not sitting flush. must need more grinding.......

Aaron

99xjache said:
That would be the bottom side of the housind flange. I just started the same conversion, I'm only about 1/2 way done with the pass side though. I'm having some trouble with the ratainer plate not sitting flush. must need more grinding.......

Aaron
So where's that picture?

wyrdvans said:
Hijack the thread?!?! You are talking about exactly what I would like to see. Post the pics.
Nope he's not. He's got a different problem: his backing plate is kind of weird.

Anyways when it comes to griding down it's kind of obvious: the axle flange is kind of like an upside down drawing of a house structure and you'll have to grind down the top of the roof to make it flat. Grind the flange and keep test fitting the backing plate and you'll see what needs to go and where.

Ahh...ok. Sorry for freaking out.

As for grinding the axle flange, that's what I figured but I was just looking for some visual confirmation. When I was eyeballing it I was afraid that I could be removing too much of the axle flange so I wanted some reassurance that grind it was the right thing to do. I was confused because it seemed like some people were saying grind the bracket(other than enlarging the hole), and others were saying grind the flange. When I was considering grinding the bracket, I was worried that the flange was going to interfere with the e-brake lever. But that's all cleared up now. Thanks.

I kind of did both. On the axle I didn't really "take the roof off of the house" I did replace the "peaked roof" with a "domed roof" (round the damb thing off) and then I ground the caliper braket to fit the new shape. The grinding you do on the caliper bracket is just the raised part of the casting so that it is flush with the machined part. Like someone already said you have to open up the center hole as well (so that the axle seal will fit through it), a die grinder made quick work of this. Then there is the center hole of the rotor, I used a sanding drum and took my time on this to keep it as round as possible and took just enough material off that is was still a tight slip fit over the axle. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures.

Back