• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you drive without the belt on?

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
I've never known of a car with only one belt, and since there's a timing chain I was wondering if it could be done. In an emergencey situation. I'm just curious.

You haven't? Serpentine belts have been the standard since the 80's AFAIK. The belt turns the water pump, cooling fan, alternator and power steering pump, so I wouldn't drive without it. But the engine will run without it, for a little while at least.

Yes you can, but for only short distances. You'll overheat rapidly (no water pump,) and you'll run out of battery fairly quickly (no alternator.)

Fortunately, you will probably not want to drive it too far anyhow (no power steering!) but you'll at least be able to get somewhere safer than where you were, if it comes to that.

I tend to keep "take-off" belts along with my basic kit, and the tools to change/install them. They fit in the largish box I've got that also has jumper cables, spare light bulbs, spare fuzes, a small quantity of spare fluids, ...

5-90

I caught my neighbor driving her late 80's XJ with no serpentine belt, driving several miles in New Haven traffic :shocked: I suppose this speaks volumes about the 4.0's robustness.

Mikel said:
I caught my neighbor driving her late 80's XJ with no serpentine belt, driving several miles in New Haven traffic :shocked: I suppose this speaks volumes about the 4.0's robustness.

only thing I can say is WOW....(shakes head)

She did not do it once... Her water pump siezed and ate the belt. She spent WEEKS driving like that. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I am not making this up - She asked me to help her replace her battery, as it was not charging. I opened the hood, and there was no serpentine belt!

Back