• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach / AW4 questions

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I am going to stick my foot in my mouth and say I searched, but I only found a possible cause. Here is some background info, I have a 1991 w/ the 4.0 HO with about 95k on it and an AW4 / NP231 combo with about 198k on them along with a swapped in guage cluster w/ full gages that I've added about 93k to bringing it up to the 187k range.

Problem:
My tach seems to be sticking around 1500 RPM on the highway and doesn't seem to want to go much above that at any other time. Once the needle sticks the engine continues to rev up to what I'm guessing would be the normal 2150 for highway speeds but it does sound a little higher and odd and I'm getting some odd vibrations that I don't think are related to the U-joint that I'm replacing this weekend (I have had U-joints go bad before and they didn't feel like this)

Although possibly unrelated, I was out wheeling about a month ago and I was trying to follow a V8 ZJ w/ quadradrive and Mudrovers up a snowy muddy hill with my open diffs and really worn ATs and as I climbed in 4L the engine RPMs would drop down so low that I was affraid of stalling it and then it would drop down a gear and rev way the heck up and I'd tear up the hill and it'd shift up again only to repeat the bog down / shift rev up process again

Questions:
From the searches I'm thinking that my torque converter may not be locking in right but I'm not sure. I am planning on taking the tranny in this wekend to have it flushed and the filter replaced since I probably should have done it a while ago but I just want to see if I should be concerned about anything else.

Now for the tach, is a sensor going bad on me, or do I just need to try to get in there and lube up the mechanism (if that is even possible).

Any thoughs would be greatly appreciated and if you find something that I missed using the search funciton then please just tell me I suck and send me the link. Thanks.

There is no sensor for the tach. The tach IS the sensor. What might be happening is that the needle is sticking at the 1500 RPM point. I suggest removing the cluster and carefully moving the tach needle through the full range by hand, feeling for any resistance at the 1500 RPM point.

It might be that a tiny drop of very light-weight pentrating type lubricant will free it up. I would not use WD-40, because that contains paraffin and will eventually gum up. It'd try something like PB Blaster, but don't shoot it right out of the can. Shoot some into a small cup and pick it up on a toothpick.

Back