• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd gear pops out on trail

NeversummerCO

NAXJA Forum User
couldn't find this...

93, Trans. AX-15 manual.

When I'm wheeling and going down a steep slope 2nd gear loves to pop out (very annoying). Going up a slope isn't a problem. It's almost like it "falls out"

My guess is its because of my 1" t-case drop. Anyone else had this? What did you do? Thoughts?

NeversummerCO said:
couldn't find this...

93, Trans. AX-15 manual.

When I'm wheeling and going down a steep slope 2nd gear loves to pop out (very annoying). Going up a slope isn't a problem. It's almost like it "falls out"

My guess is its because of my 1" t-case drop. Anyone else had this? What did you do? Thoughts?
I think it's probably because of the TC drop.:thumbup:

yes... i remember when i had the dropped TC, i had to shove my stick down in 2 because the console was holding it back , and it was right up against the metal, on the floor pan. i removed my center consol and trimmed a bit, untill i got the sye-then i reinstalled it all. i kinda like to hold my shifter when im on the trails any way, just for peice of mind-i got a b&m knob- its sweet to hang on to. also helps shifting after a couple beers.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the out. I see what you mean by having a nice shifter, its a Hurst. I wish I didn't have to use the t-case drop, but its the last thing I added to stop vibration. I also have 6 degree shims and an SYE. Eventually I'll cut and re-weld perches on the axel.

Thanks again

i dont understand

you have a SYE, TC lowering kit with 6* shims? what you up like 14 inches?

skyjackedxj96 said:
i dont understand

you have a SYE, TC lowering kit with 6* shims? what you up like 14 inches?
Ewww,
Nice catch.

Yeah, you need to lose the shims and drop, but especially, lose the shims.

That's why I'm going to cut and reweld perches eventually. It's funny because when I was at 5.5" with 33s I was running stock, no angle adjustments and No vibrations. But as soon as I added on a few more inches vibes everywhere. It was not too bad with just the SYE (that in and out humming sound), shims made it better at 45+MPH but the TC drop made it silent at all ranges of speed. I built it right down the street from "Old Man"(NAXJA) and had him stumped.

It's still a daily driver, and all highways and mountains to work. But I'm in back country with it all day. So I built it with the goal in mind, must be able to drive to remote areas by highway and be able to wheel all around the montains w/o problems each day. After 3 years, this is the only problem that remains. When it retires to a recreation jeep, then I'll reweld, since it can sit w/o need while I learn to weld better.

Back