• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever upholstered their plastic interior?

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
Just toying with ideas. I know some people have used dye or paint to color their plastics (like the dash, console, doors, etc) .. Has anyone ever successfully re-covered the interior with vinyl or the like?
I've found some nice leather-like vinyl fabric on sale - I was initally looking for headliner fabric, but then the wheels started turning ...

Last edited:
The scary thing is, I really was considering crushed velvet for the headliner :D

I've been to several fabric/upholstery stores, though, and I decided that velvet and microsuede would just pick up dirt too easily.

My current choice is a black fabric upholstery with a slight satiny look that has leather (elephant skin?) pebble texture and embroidered elephants across it, which is cool, with just a slight, but tasteful edge of pimp ;)

Oh, and I tried stretching the vinyl over the dash, and I think it would probably involve more luck to avoid wrinkles than I would care to depend on, so I'm open to ideas.

Krylon makes a plastic spray paint that is suppossed to be good. I've never used it, but I am considering trying the SATIN GREY on my interior plastic panels that are already grey with lots of scuffs, stains and marks.

Most of the big hardware stores sell the Krylon Plastic Paint, Lowes, Ace, Walmart.

1st I'm going to try simple green, a brush and scotch brite pad to thoroughly clean the panels, I'll see how that works before trying to paint the plastic.

That Krylon Plastic paint works great.
I just did my entire XJ in Black, seriously.
newblackpaint.jpg

DSC06415.jpg

Last edited:
Back