• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible for shock to not extend fast enough?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my dilema I am still trying to figure out. My rear end of my 97XJ, which is locked with 4.56's and 33" tires, lifted 6" with bilsteins 5100's...hops around sometimes.

What I mean is that I could be going down the road, going over small bumps or potholes and the backend feels like it is hopping around and not making tons of ground contact.

Then for kickers when it gets wet outside and I am at a standstill and press on the gas, more often than not the back tires will spin pretty bad. For some reason I think it does it less when going around a corner, but it still does it.

So I know I need to check and see if my backend is actually locking up, but regarding the hopping, I can't seem to figure out why. It's not something that has always been there and it feels like the backend is light, which doesn't make any sense to me. So I was wondering if it is possible that the shocks are either too cold, not responding fast enough, or something else?

Thanks,

Beebe

what rear springs do you have, the arch of lift springs, plus the stiffer spring rate can do some weird things..... also how new are they, my rustys 4.5 springs when new, it was like i didnt have a rear suspension

Double Down said:
The springs are RE 4.5" with 1" shackle and are about 2 years old.
Bad angle on the shocks in relation to the pin up top and the pin on the axle: if your pinion angle is different from stock and shock mounts on the axle end were not rewelded then yeah it will uncompress and compress a bit weird (not sure if it'd cause the hop though unless the angles were bad enough).

Back