• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydroboost brakes

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok sees like a few have done this setup, is it working well? I'm interested in doing this but one concern I have is pedal feel and travel. So how is it, any modulation or is just on/off?

I drove a Chevy P30 van with hydro-boost brakes and they function exactly like any other power brake -- except really well.

The only problems I saw in that system, outside of the fact that it was rather a tedious plumbing job, and that it had a large hydro boost valve on top of everything else, was that that boost valve sometimes hung up on my system. That would mean that I had a rock solid pedal, with no brakes until I got the boost to move, then it would drop half way to the floor and apply the brakes as if I had just stood on the pedal. That is not typical of hydro boost braking systems though -- that was a flaw that needed repairs.

Note that you must maintain powersteering pressure in order to have brakes with this setup! A dead engine = no brakes (or not enough to matter) as the pedal mostly drops to the floor and nothing happens. Remember, in the hydro boost setup, the brake pedal acuates the hydro boost vapve, which in turn actuates the brake master cylinder. No hydraulics = no brakes. This happened to me several times when I blew a belt or a pump.

My 99 CTD has hydroboost. And a reserve, I'll get one, maybe 2 stops without p/s pressure. Otherwise, it's like a vacuum booster on steroids.

I'm intersted in Hydo as well, anyone else have any observations?

Thanks,
Kent :)

Back