• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leafs sliding apart...

95WhiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
On my drivers side, the second to the bottom leaf has slid out about an inch, I dont have time to fix it for a few weeks, think it's okay and safe to drive?

Slid out as in lengthwise, or slid out as in turned at a slight angle to the rest of the leaves in the pack?

If the former, I would not drive it. If the latter, whack it a couple of times with a 2-1/2 pound Ford carburetor adjusting tool and then check the torque on the axle u-bolts.

BTW- the fix is to get a leaf spring clamp.

Don't get the kind that wrap around the top side tight, as they will restrict flex. Get the ones that have a bolt or pin a half-inch or so above the main leaf to give the leaves some room to open up when the axle droops.

Of course, figuring out how to attach them is up to you....

To further Eagle's response. If it has slid out lengthwise, you've got a busted center pin. Please stop driving it now as the entire axle can shift forward or backwards on you now with no warning causing your tire to go into your fender opening.

Its out sideways, thanks for the reply's.

LOL that's about as urgent a plea for 'fix it NOW' from One Ton as I've ever read... (even if it doesn't apply in this case)

You mean it is like that?

16b.jpg

Mind you this pic was taken under flex.

It went back to where it belonged when the truck was level again.

Rgds

Yeah, kinda like that, but its not the big leaf, its the second to the smallest, and its protruding like an inch sideways, on both ends....
Will try a BFH tomorrow...

My original AAL packs used to do this all the time,it means your getting good flex.Just put a C-clamp on each end and pull them back in!

DeadEyeJ said:
BTW- the fix is to get a leaf spring clamp.

Don't get the kind that wrap around the top side tight, as they will restrict flex. Get the ones that have a bolt or pin a half-inch or so above the main leaf to give the leaves some room to open up when the axle droops.

Any idea where to get these? I have been unable to locate them for sale so far?

You wont typically find them except at the spring shops.They require a hole in the leaf spring and they are riveted on!

RCP Phx said:
You wont typically find them except at the spring shops.They require a hole in the leaf spring and they are riveted on!

The ones they sell in spring shops (at least around here) are sheet metal and do not require rivets (although a rivet would keep it in place better). You can also get the type that are essentially a square u-bolt with a flat plate at Pep Boys.

Eagle said:
The ones they sell in spring shops (at least around here) are sheet metal and do not require rivets (although a rivet would keep it in place better). You can also get the type that are essentially a square u-bolt with a flat plate at Pep Boys.

I've been able to find this type, but they sure seem to stick out pretty far from the spring...that's why I didn't get them.

This was what I was refering to>
RE1455.jpg

I haven't looked too closely at my stock XJ leafs before, but I thought that they had holes at the end of the leafs for the teflon bushing to snap into. Just yank out one of those and rivet the clamp onto the hole. Maybe I'm just blowin smoke.

If not, the clamps that Eagle mentioned from Pep Boys (?) work pretty well. Clamping the leafs tightly together near the center won't hurt your flex too much.

Back