• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts Numbers & Specs.

Enough, already!

Go look at the sticky about posting FSMs. This is still copyrighted material.

Ummm, the link is for the Parts Catalogs NOT FSM.

I did a search thru the entire .PDF file for the '94-'96 Parts Catalog and the words 'copyright' or 'copy right' do not appear in the document at all.

Exactly WHERE did I say it *WAS* the FSM?

Did you look for the copyright symbol? At least some of the documentation is copyrighted (see the 2001 Accessories PDF.) Not having the copyright symbol on it doesn't mean it's not copyrighted. What is does mean is that D/C can't sue for damages, but CAN sue to prevent use.

In any event, that's material from D/C. I don't see a notice of permission to publish anywhere. There's too damned much piracy going on. And considering D/C does sell this type of info, yes, that's piracy.

Over a year ago, when someone was selling a set of CDs with the factory parts catalogs on them, I called DaimlerChrysler after I couldn't find a copyright notice, and I asked them if they objected to having the parts listing disseminated. The person I spoke with kicked it upstairs, and the answer that came back was that they do NOT object, as long as the person isn't making a profit on it. Which would mean posting it on a web link where people can get it is okay, and even selling it on a CD is okay as long as the cost is just to cover the blank CD and the postage.

This was all documented in the BOD forum at the time. However, this applied only to the parts catalogs. It did not address the factory service manuals, which are copyrighted material.

thought it might help in finding those hard to find part numbers i see others searching/asking for... didn't think i was breaking the FSM rule as this is not a factory service manual...

as far as copyright infringement, i'll leave that up to someone higher up to determine whether the post should be eliminated... i have asked the website in question about the concerns posted here and am waiting to hear back...

Eagle said:
Over a year ago, when someone was selling a set of CDs with the factory parts catalogs on them, I called DaimlerChrysler after I couldn't find a copyright notice, and I asked them if they objected to having the parts listing disseminated. The person I spoke with kicked it upstairs, and the answer that came back was that they do NOT object, as long as the person isn't making a profit on it. Which would mean posting it on a web link where people can get it is okay, and even selling it on a CD is okay as long as the cost is just to cover the blank CD and the postage.

This was all documented in the BOD forum at the time. However, this applied only to the parts catalogs. It did not address the factory service manuals, which are copyrighted material.

Heh. At best, that's somewhat unofficial, leaving D/C open to pursue the issue should they get a bug up their keister.

In all seriousness, unless there's a notice showing that they (in this case, Quadratec,) have permission to post and distribute this info (or that it's been placed in the public domain,) it has to be regarded as proprietary. I wish that weren't the case, but give the state of the 'net, I don't see any other way.

In this particular case, I stand corrected.

"The PDFs are copyrighted, so you can't alter them but republishing them is fine."

The web site in question doesn't own the copyright, so they have no say.
Also their resonse indicates that they dont know what copyright means.
My opinion I would not "host" distribution of those files without a letter from DC, but A link is ok, let the legal issues be the other site's problem.

Back