• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailgate latch

hockeydawg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj sport and the tailgate won't open. I think that the latch isn't disengaging. Does anyone know how to access the inside of the latch? Anyone have this problem before? Thanks.

I'd try removing the plastic trim cover off the inside of the hatch to get access to the linkages and operate them from there. Don't know if you can get the panel off with the tailgate close.

Don't know if there are any special tricks, I have the previous gen XJ and I don't know how much has changed in the tailgate latch from those years, but on mine, it looks like that is the only way to get in there and get it open.

My hatch wouldn't open on my 99 one time, but it was because a tarp was caught in the latch. I had the wife pulling on the handle as I went inside the jeep and gave it a swift kick, and it opened right up.

I don't know if this will help you any? Probbaly not.

I recently replaced the latch on my '98, and it was somewhat of a pain with the hatch opened. I've heard of people pulling back the interior panel, at the lower part of the rear window, and reaching in to operate the latch manually. But I really can't see how this is done without seriously messing up the interior panel. There are some screws that hold the panel in along the top, and there are a couple that hold the panel on the sides, about half way down (about lower window level, near where the hatch struts mount on the bottom). You can't get to those without the hatch being open. The rest of the panel is held in place by "press in holders" that pop into holes on the hatch itself.

Have you tried pressing really hard on the hatch just above the license plate light/header piece on the outside, while you pull up on the latch? Sometimes that's all it takes to open the hatch... I had to do this for a while until I replaced the latch with an upgraded one to prevent further stuckage issues...

Ivan

Back