• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running a hp 60 '85+ with stock xj coils

kerndogg

NAXJA Forum User
I am having no luck finding a 78-79 60 fo the price i want to pay but have been able to find a newer (balljoint) out of a 95. The only problem is the newer axles have the centersection moved further left than the earlier ones and it looks like the drivers side coil will end up about on top of the diff. Anybody dealt with this, i was thinking coil overs or air shocks wouls allow you to just angle them out slightly but i don't want to drop that much money right now...

Take 6-7 inches out of the passenger side tube, and an XJ coil will fit. It's tight, but it will fit.

I have a 95 ball joint 60. Narrowed 6" from the pass side. Went to CO's because there was no way to get the drivers coil, trackbar and tierod to all fit there.

good excuse to go to CO's :)

SeanP said:
I have a 95 ball joint 60. Narrowed 6" from the pass side. Went to CO's because there was no way to get the drivers coil, trackbar and tierod to all fit there.

good excuse to go to CO's :)

Well, it fit, for a while, but not well. ;)

the coil buckets is only one of the problems, the lower conrol arm needs to mount where the spring perch that is part of the pumpkin is, is in the way also, I built a box around the whole tube in this spot in order to mount my control arm mounts but I also went coilovers

i was planning on leaving it full width, i guess if you shorten it any you would need a custom shaft right? anybody have any complaints from thier balljoint 60, i guess you can't run full hy-steer like a king pin right. Anybody want to show off some pics?

pm'd you some pics. I have hi-steer, my ford knuckles were machined flat on top and had custom arms made for them. Not cheap, but then what is?

The lower CA mount on the drivers side wasn't too much of a problem for me. I welded one of the "tabs" to the pumkin and one to the tube. Pre/post heat with a mig, cast steel so I am not to worried. My upper mount is welded directly to the pumkin too.

SeanP

How about dropping me the same pics. :) Thanks, Jeff

BTW, if you look at my thread about track width in here, I have a pretty good drawing of a '89 King Pin axle. Actually, the drawing is of a HP44 with '89 King Pin outer parts, but there are many good measurements shown. Just change the dimensions of the edge of the pumpkin and it would be accurate for the D60 pumpkin. Jeff

SeanP said:
pm'd you some pics. I have hi-steer, my ford knuckles were machined flat on top and had custom arms made for them. Not cheap, but then what is?

The lower CA mount on the drivers side wasn't too much of a problem for me. I welded one of the "tabs" to the pumkin and one to the tube. Pre/post heat with a mig, cast steel so I am not to worried. My upper mount is welded directly to the pumkin too.

SeanP

I've got the "weak" D60 from a 97 dodge 3/4 ton in my xj...just a blown up d30...I was able to use the almost all the stock brackets on it...it is a lot wider than regular axles though...72"(?IIRC)...and I've been re engineering my coil mounts on it(I just welded the buckets to the stock dodge coil mounts(nice flat surface) and looking at the stock shock mounts on it...it would be perfect for coil overs...I think my next xj...when ever this one burns down(I think thats the only way I could get rid of it) will run the same year dodge d44 front w/ rear from the same truck...I think its a 9.25 or something like that...should be ample for my light foot and 33" boggers, damn wide too.)

yellowxj said:
I've got the "weak" D60 from a 97 dodge 3/4 ton in my xj...just a blown up d30...
Have you had any troube with your dodge 60? I have never had a problem with the unit bearings in my 30, i don't like the diconnect part of it but other than that i don't really understand why this would be such a bad option under an xj. anybody care to enlighten me?

No high steer options, can't unlock the hubs, limited locker selection for the funky 32 spline axleshafts.

Other than that, it's plenty heavy duty enough for a light XJ.

Ahh, i didn't know those were 32 spline, what lockers are available. as far as unlocking hubs it would be no different than what i am running now. I have a heavy duty d44 from an f-25 i was gonna use but i don't like the fact that it is low pinion, that would also be a downside to a dodge 60.

I liked my d30 and I like this dodge 60 too. Easy to work on and I dont have any problems with it being low pinion...lockright in it that works great...the biggest problem is the width, damn wide axle compared to regular "full width axles". I left the vacuum disco hookup so its constantly on, with the lockright the front drive shaft spins anyhow...

And with my worn out 4.0 I shouldnt have to worry about breaking it. Just did put all new ball joints and ujoints in it...set me back about $230...not bad considering it went straight from the junk yard to my jeep for a years worth of wheeling before I really had to work on it.

Back