• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00' 4.0 XJ Won't Start

joel-xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving home from CA when all of the sudden the check engine light went on the the motor stopped running. I pulled over to the side and couldn't get the Jeep to start again. It cranks but won't start.

Battery is fine, CPS is replaced, CKS is replaced. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah...the Cam Position Sensor was melted.

Last edited:
Do you know what codes it's spitting out?

P3040
P3051
P3052
P3053
P1395 (??)

Not sure on that last one. P3040 is for the Cam Position Sensor which is why I started there.

Check the basics...spark and fuel. If you've got both, check the timing. It's possible the timing chain jumped, that could cause a CMP code and kill the engine.

Just an FYI for anyone who's looking on the topic. The problem here was the Crank Position Sensor. Basically this little mechanical device with a magnet on it that takes over engine timing from the distributor. It is located straight down and just left of center as you are looking into the engine compartment. There is a small gear on the end of this that meets up with the oil pump. The teeth on the gears had been broken off. The replacement took all of 15 minutes once I figured out what it was.

Cygnys58: I guess the question marks mean you don't have a 00/01?
No distributor - Coil pack on the top of the head, bolted down over the plugs. There's a sensor in the distributor hole that tells the computer the cam position.

Back