• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When to replace all this stuff?

HEGO sensors are supposed to be good for 80Kmiles - but I've seen them go 120Kmiles or so. Change those due to mileage - usually when fuel mileage starts to fall off.

Plugs, cap, rotor - about every two years. Do a resistance check on the plug wires at the same time - I don't recall the spec offhand, but replace when necessary. Also, I've found it helpful to visuall inspect the wire by bending it through about a 180* angle, and checking the outside surface that way - it will enlarge any cracks. Allow about a 2" ID on the bend, so you don't wreck the wire.

Belt? Generally, 40-50K miles is good. Every other smog here. If the old one doesn't have chunks missing, it gets put in a ziploc baggie in the back as a spare, along with the spare bulbs and fuzes I keep.

Most sensors are "replace as needed" types - usually, you'll note a huge power or mileage fall-off when one goes. If you get a little stuck tracking it down, we're happy to help you (just make sure you give us enough information...)

5-90

I just did a replacemnt of all my sensors at 175,000 miles for the sake of PM.. i am getting better gas mileage and smoother running on my renix 88... Did it need it? maybe... maybe it was the new plugs and cap that got the gas mileage up.. maybe it was the hego... who knows but i feel at 170,000 the sensors did their job well and were due for retirement both temp sensors (coolant and air) were out of spec

wilcharl said:
I just did a replacemnt of all my sensors at 175,000 miles for the sake of PM.. i am getting better gas mileage and smoother running on my renix 88... Did it need it? maybe... maybe it was the new plugs and cap that got the gas mileage up.. maybe it was the hego... who knows but i feel at 170,000 the sensors did their job well and were due for retirement both temp sensors (coolant and air) were out of spec
I have an `88 pioneer and was thinking of replacing the sensors as well. What was the total cost on all of them

im on 255000 miles in my 88 only thing i have left to replace is my TPS got the O2 sensor replaced 6 months ago for free at the dealer .. outstanding recall. I also took out all the fuel injectors and cleaned them same with pressure regulator runs much better after that

I got all the sensors on ebay and paid about 15 a piece

Fastcall what recall is this ? I'd like to get my O2 sensor replaced... Especially for free ! Wilchalr what sensors did you replace ? I have an 90XJ with 204K on it and am thinking of replacing all of them too. I replaced the CPS awhile back (about 3 years ago) and then checked it a month ago with an OHM meter... it tested within the limits... I have a mitchell book that gives the specs on the sensors... So one day when I get around to it I'll try to test them. How long did it take and did anyone of them give you problems ? And you found them all on Ebay ?

wilcharl said:

ditto, I plan on doing the same for PM reasons along w/full fluids clean and replace front to rear on my 90' w/140,000 which I just bought and it was woefully neglected. At least I will know what im starting out with. I plan on upgrading all the fluids, oils as I go along w/additives as further PM.

Ken

SPVFD47 said:
Fastcall what recall is this ?

it was a recall from somewhere between 92 and 94 i think i called DC to get trail rated badges and the woman told me that it had a recall that hadnt been fixed and told me where to take it so i took it ... should be able to go to jeeps web site and run your vin# and find out .... mines also a 88 though

will need new orings for the injectors and for the regulator take the injectors off and just clean them i run carb cleaner through mine till it came out clean.

mine also had some gunk built up around the tips of them im sure it was messing with the spray pattern of them. same with regulator used carb cleaner and sprayed it out pretty good till it was all clean also done the air idler thingie the same alot of the stuff you can just clean i had alot of carbon build up so once all was cleaned it was pretty nice . just dont go using sand paper i only used carb cleaner and a rag

yeah think all the new jeeps come with them lil badge goes on the fender infront of the doors can call dc give them your vin number and they will send ya one with a lil letter telling ya bout the trail rating

Fast XJ said:
im on 255000 miles in my 88 only thing i have left to replace is my TPS got the O2 sensor replaced 6 months ago for free at the dealer .. outstanding recall. I also took out all the fuel injectors and cleaned them same with pressure regulator runs much better after that

Watch this guy, He's replacing his Jeep one piece at a time. If I'm not mistaken, his suspension and steering components are next.

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/gallery/files/7/0/8/DSC00687_thumb.jpg

One piece at a time, right Robert?

lol Tom by the time im done i will have a 2007 XJ !

SPV this is the number for recalls 1-800-853-1403
and this is the one i think i called about the badges but if not they will connect you to the right number 1-800-992-1997

Sorry for the hijack...

Back