• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best welder for body work?

bigwhitey

NAXJA Forum User
So whats the best welder for doing body work on my XJ. My 220 ARC welder don't work to good on thin stuff. Any ways, do the cheap harbor freight or tractor supply welders work well for this?

to be honest, I have a little craftsman 115V welder that I use, it only has 2 settings, high and low, and then line speed high and low, I put them both on low and do 1" welds every 5 inches after its tacked togather. I wont say its the best, but I can vouch that it works.

You might want to look into the HF TIG unit. $200, no first hand experience but I think it would be the cats pajamas for inexpensive sheetmetal work. Flux Cored wire feed is a PITA to do sheetmetal, I'd advice at least a gas sheilded mig setup for that, lower the amps the better.

Buy a good brand name set up for gas, at least 130 amp. A small 220v is only a little more money if you have a plug in, I have a 220v 180 hobart and I haven't used my stick welder since and it does a good job on sheetmetal.

I ended up borrowing my buddies lincoln 140 and it's working great.
Project cheromanche is under way. I guess I should buy stock in bondo before I finish. I'm going to make the auto parts store rich on that stuff this weekend.

ChicksDigWagons said:
You might want to look into the HF TIG unit. $200, no first hand experience but I think it would be the cats pajamas for inexpensive sheetmetal work. Flux Cored wire feed is a PITA to do sheetmetal, I'd advice at least a gas sheilded mig setup for that, lower the amps the better.

I dunno, but a 250DX does ok on sheetmetal... in a pinch. :D

rzr01.jpg

rzr02.jpg

rzr03.jpg

rzr04.jpg

--ron

I bought my Hobart 140 mainly to fix the floorpan holes. But, I've used it for a few things and it does well with 3/16 in. and thick flux wire so far. I haven't tried it with 1/4 in. yet. I have thin wire and C-25 for the sheetmetal. I like it so far.

ChicksDigWagons said:

If I had to choose, I'd stick to a good MIG unit. Even with a ton of great technique, in typical body panel work, it gets hard to control shrinkage with TIG.

In terms of sheetmetal, body work is not exactly close fitment, which good TIG work requires. Sure, you can use a ton of Silicone Bronze, but shrinkage is still a killer.

I've been demoing a 350P with a Python gun. If you've never used pulse MIG before, let me tell ya, it's sweet. Really sweet.

Now, if I could just get it to do razor blades... :D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I dunno, but a 250DX does ok on sheetmetal... in a pinch. :D

rzr03.jpg

Is Polish Potato Vodka required for sheet metal welding???

Will my welds get better...or worse?

Could I use Luksusowa instead? Maybe grain vodka like Belvedere or Ketel One, or perhaps that French grape vodka impersonator, Ciroc.

Let us know. I want to be sure I am doing the best welds possible! ;)

DJ

fourwhldrv said:

Could I use Luksusowa instead? Maybe grain vodka like Belvedere or Ketel One, or perhaps that French grape vodka impersonator, Ciroc.

Let us know. I want to be sure I am doing the best welds possible! ;)

DJ

I dunno about your welds, but your advanced drinking skills will be better if you stay away from all the over filtered stuff. :D

--ron

If all your conserned about is body work then from what I hear the millermatic or hobart 130s (or is it 135, im not sure) have the nicest arc for that kind of work.

fourwhldrv said:

DJ
Chopin is required for sheet metal and . . . ok, everything!
Your welding may not be any better, but you'll enjoy the experience and have not a trace of a hangover the next day.

On another note -
how bad is it that I'm seriously jealous of Ron's TABLE!?!

What Rd said:
On another note -
how bad is it that I'm seriously jealous of Ron's TABLE!?!

It's a chunk of metal alright. I've worked with various weld tables over the years and they all have their purpose. What we require has a few special needs.

It's not uncommon to be working on 120 plus inches of sheet that needs to be squared up, or flat within .005" over long distances, that's the reason the table is so big. Working with #4 and #8 stainless means the table has to be out of aluminum to keep the scratches down.

So what I end up with is 48" x 120" .750 thick 6061-T6 tool plate mounted on a frame that doesn't interfere with the various clamps we use.

You don't even wanna know what it costs. Every time I sit down at it, I need a drink. :D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
So what I end up with is 48" x 120" .750 thick 6061-T6 tool plate mounted on a frame that doesn't interfere with the various clamps we use.

You don't even wanna know what it costs. Every time I sit down at it, I need a drink. :D

--ron
Damn - you're right. Just imagining what that must have cost has me
looking for my Chopin.

Last edited:
Back