• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think Windex is taking my paint off

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
I was cleaning my windows the other week, and when I was done I wiped the part of the painted door that touches the seals but is not visable when the door is shut. I only did this to the drivers door. The other day I noticed what looked like red powder on the door seal, I looked at the bottom of the door, and sure enough I see bare metal. All the other doors (which I didn't touch) are fine, and seals are all black.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

I'd imagine it's possible - doesn't Windex have ammonia in it? That makes it mildly caustic, and with the new regs on automotive paints, they're just not as tough as they were (I miss the lacquer we used in the 60's!)

Granted, if this was on the end of the door (it sounds like it...) then that area is not well-cared-for in general anyhow - and it could be any number of things. I try to keep the door jambs clean so I can inspect them - I may only wash my rig twice a year, but I tend to be verythorough when I do...

5-90

i've never had any issues, but then again it could be any # of things

I've never had any trouble with windex and paint. I've even used it directly on paint to get road grime off where regular car soaps wont do the trick. If it was on the inside of the door it may not have been coated with the tougher clear coat that protects your paint, which means it would be more susceptable to chemicals.

Back