• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement seats?

kalorca

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I just bought my first Jeep, a beautiful '94 Cherokee Sport. I love everything about it except the seats. The foam and springs are way past their prime and are killing my back. Does anybody know what years of which models will fit in my Sport without requiring any modifications? The junkyard will be my first approach but I'm open to other options as well. Are there any good aftermarket seats that will be nice for long drives, off road racing seats are fine but I need to get to Baja from San Francisco first.

Much thanks for any help.
Jeff

Rats. You are "on the bubble," but I don't remember which side. '94 was either the last year for the old seat pedestals, or the first year for the new style.

Check with Collins Brothers Jeep in Texas, I believe I read something about them selling a good after-market seat with brackets to mount in a Cherokee.

Try http://www.redart.com/ . I have sat in their seats at one of the 4x4 shows and I fell in love with them (or actually my rear end did LOL) and as soon as I have $$ to spare on that (instead of on otehr projects) I will get them. In any case, they are so comfy that I immediately thought of our giveawayXJ and got Tim from RedArt to donate two seats :D

Kejtar

I don't know if the Red Art ones come with low enough side bolsters and lower sides. That is the reason I got the mastercraft rubicon seats. These are comfy seats. Good support too. My old seats were bending (reclining) only on one side. Relined crooked. I didn't notice it too much except on long drives, 50 miles or more. Now my back rarely bothers me any time. Seats are pricey though. PRP makes seats just like the Red Art or Beard's, that are priced better. They are located in temecula, ca. I think the site is prpseats.com.

Dan

Heck, if your back can at least survive the trip to Baja just drop it off at one of those little Tijuana upholstery shops and go have a fish taco and a cervesa.... they'll fix ya up lickity-split with some brand new burgandy crushed velvet diamond tuck for next to nothing and you'll be cruising home in style and comfort! :cool:

Ted Z said:
i bought '94 S-10 seats and put them in mine..... much comfier

What year seats? Any mods to get them to fit?

I've got a set of Capri seats. FREE-BE-E-E!!!! (can't beat that) The only thing is I have to come up with a way to mount them.

The seat come with lumbar support(both), recline(both), and the driver is even heated. I thought about S-10 but wasn't sure if they would fit with out mods.

Kejtar said:
ALso honda civic seats fit and are somewhat comfy from what I have been told (a small amount of fabing is required though)

As a former Honda owner, let me be the first to dispel this urban legend: Honda seats are instruments of torture. Period.

The ONLY seats I have ridden in over the past 20 years that were less comfortable than my '88 Cherokee seats were: 82 Honda Civic; 93 Honda Accord; 94 Acura [something].

An old milk crate bolted to the floor with a sheet of plywood for a back rest would be more comfortable than a Honda seat.

Saying all Honda seats are the same is like saying all Jeeps are the same. It depends on who is sitting on what exact seat. Don't forget that the best seats stay in Japan. We get the watered-down stuff.

The only exception to this is the Recaros in the new EVO.:) They are superb. It makes you wonder what the world would be like if every car had those Recaros. Road rage? Nope! Everybody would be too mellow.

That reminds me. The Civic TypeR gets some nice red Recaros overseas, I think.

There are recarros and there are recarros, my BIL had them in his beemer, those seats are made for skinny assed europeans. We drove from NJ to Cape Cod and I was a wheel chair candidate by the time we got to mystic ct, almost had to crawl in to the steakhouse we stopped at. I know it was bad looking because we were offered handicaped seating, guess I looked like quasimodo walking in...
I like my 98's seats, especially after I got them fixed at a local upholstery shop. For $50 they stripped em, repacked them for my 6'6"/260lbs, fixed two welds and reinforced them. They have been cushy ever since, that was the best $50 I ever spent on the XJ, now spending several hours in them is comfortable.

hell , i have an 87.. i got freebie seats out of a 95 xj ( the different mounts.. a little finesse ( read : BFH ) a few new holes drilled, some plate to reinforce and VIOLA!.. comfy seats that are manual and actually recline :D

Mastercraft Rubicon.

RubiconSeat.sized.jpg

RichP said:
There are recarros and there are recarros...my 6'6"/260lbs

Exactly. Not all Recaros are the same and not all people are the same. A seat that fits me like a glove might fit too loose or too tight for somebody else. Being 6'6"/260lbs has got to be a serious problem finding ANYTHING that fits.

I'm sure glad I'm not that size. I can't imagine carrying around an extra 100lbs and bumping my head on everyhing for the rest of my life. Well, at least you can scare children. :D

Back