• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best budget leaf spring combination

kleake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,, before you go off on me, I have searched and found several answers, but none that really answers my question. I currently have an RE 4.5" lift with AAL in the rear. The front works great, but the rear lacks a little in the "Flex" department. I have heard of people using Dakota, S10, and various other leafs with the main XJ leaf to accomplish more flex. My question is, what is "in each of your opinions" the best leaf combination to get a good soft flexy ride with about 4.5" of lift "cheap"?

I recently looked for some. In the past OEM springs were thiner and more of them. Then they got fewer and thicker. I wanted some thin ones, but the only 2.5" leafs that were long and spring under (for arch) that I found in my u-pull yard were old Bronco 2 springs. They looked good, but were so old that they looked hammered. Plus they were so rusted that getting them would have been a pain. There were a ton of S-10s. I know lots of people have used them, but I wasn't impressed. You wanted an opinion, there you have it. They have 3 thick leaves. To me they look stiff. Explorers and Dakotas are the same. Others were not 2.5" or too short. So... I got some MJ leaves. At first I thought they would be stiff for a pick up, but the leaves are as thin as XJ leafs. The overload leaf is about a half inch, didn't use that. Now I see why it is a poular choice. So I used my main leaf, cut the eyes off the MJ, put the whole pack (3leaves) under that, used my overload leaf, bolted it all up. With my 3/4" shackle I have a solid 4", more like 4.5. Would not even bother me to add another leaf from my XJ pack for more lift, but I don't need it. Very soft, not stiff at all. Haven't flexed it yet but it wouldn't matter. I have no clamps on yet and don't feel like using my brake line for a limiting strap. Still have a few things to do. Hope that helps
leaf.jpg

I have been thinking about these as well... I had an MJ with a spring over in the rear,,, it was very flexy back there... Here is a pic of mine,,, the front right is stuffed all the way, and the left front is very lightly loaded, but notice the rear hasn't moved much at all... I could use about 3-4 more inches of up travel in there...
p2043788m.jpg

Anyone else have opinions on the best setup,,,, so far it looks like the S-10 spring combination is the best way to go for the price... What is the best lift you can get out of that pack? Anyone with a better idea than going S-10?

kleake said:
Ok,, before you go off on me, I have searched and found several answers, but none that really answers my question. I currently have an RE 4.5" lift with AAL in the rear. The front works great, but the rear lacks a little in the "Flex" department. I have heard of people using Dakota, S10, and various other leafs with the main XJ leaf to accomplish more flex. My question is, what is "in each of your opinions" the best leaf combination to get a good soft flexy ride with about 4.5" of lift "cheap"?

Here are a couple of threads you may find useful. Normally you need to tune your springs to your rig and type of terrain.

In this first one look for Goatman's post on what it takes to make leaves flex

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf+spring+tuning

Here are a copule that talks about DAK PAKs and other custom packs

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=Dakota+Lift

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57737&highlight=Dakota+Lift

Thanks JAS,,, that got me the info I was searching for and couldn't find...... Awesome, now I just have to plan a trip to the salvage....

Back