• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replace both calipers?

Tom Campbell

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5658&highlight=caliper+replace

Ok so this is the only thread that said to replace both calipers at the same time. i think i have heard it before and would usually not scoff at being cheap when it comes to to stuff liek this and especially the brakes but i am so ticked right now. Anyhow i was trying to loosen the bleeder screw (I have such bad luck with these) and it twisted off. Well I ground a slot in it and shot some pb blaster and got nothing. Even tried heat ( well just a propane torch for a minute) and a punch but that just took the rest of the outer portion with it. So as id rather not try drilling and looking for a tap ( anyplace that sells left hand taps and bolts?), im just gonna give up and get a new one. :mad: I got 80k out of it so thats not too bad. They still slide so nice on the pins too. :( well anyways are calipers just calipers or should I stay away from lets say an advancded auto replacemnt? Ok well I think I just convinced myself to replace both. (ill take reassurance here;)) Anyone know hardened steel bleeder screws or if I can use antiseize or something that wont contaminate the brake fluid? Any calier upgrades?
And finally, I am bleeding the sytem started with the rear pass and then the other rear then ill do the front pass , front drivers. Anyhow, to bleed the whole system, do I just let it go till it runs clear? because thats all I did for the rear. Got some nasty stuff out of those. What makes it so dark and such? dirt? water? heat? a combination of those?
Ok thanks for any help! Sorry i got off track a couple of times.

I am cheap too

I would not automatically replace both sides if one of the existing ones still looks good. You don't do that with headlights do you? NO, especially when you are cheap like me. Sorry to hear about the bleeder saga. At this point I would get some big vise grips (with a strong BITE) and a cheater pipe and bust that baby loose !! The anti-seize is a good idea too. The crapola in the fluid is contamination, not the least of which is caused by plain old moisture, i.e. humidity from the lovely western Pennsylvania atmosphere. Good luck !! I am doing brakes soon myself....

P.S. I always loved the Steelers growing up (can you say Bradshaw?) Now I am a Buc fan. (since 1976)

i see no need to replace both calipers unless there is something wrong with the other one.... i would put some tim einto at least cleaning up the other side and inspecting the piston and bore... there must be a hardware kit available to replace the dust boot and the other parts on it.. definatley new pads on both sides and get the rotors turned.. the overheated one may need to be replaced if it warped too bad but if it it think enough it's probably still ok to use.. dont give up on the bleeder screw yet.. you can get reverse cut drills at sears for exactly this kind of problem.. i would rather take a chance on really screwing up the old one before i go buy new....
mike

Well if you guys dont think its that bad to try just one i can do that for now. if ti pulls or something then Ill lookinto a nother one. And as far as not giving up, i may be able to ohold onto the old one for a little while and try drilling it out.

Sidriptide: I rambled and wrote a lot but i did not warp a rotor. i have some nice big thick powerstop crossdrilled ones that take the heat well. I will have to custom cut them soon one day as they are getting a bit of a lip on them.

thanks for the input.
Tom C
Bill- while i was not even alive to see bradshaw play, the stories in this town dont die! As far as a being a bucs fan, (And dont take this wrong, we want them to see them succeed) I feel for you. They wont being doing well untill baseball starts revenue sharing like football.
Thanka again!

Back