• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I get more boost on a RE 5.5 inch Long Arm kit

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
Im getting a RE Long Arm kit for my 98 XJ, I am planning on running 33 tires. I want to get more boost on it, so I decided to buy the ACOS coil spacers for the front since im going to be running a heavy duty front bumper and winch anyway. But Im very confused about how to lift the back to level it off. I want another 1.5 inches on it. How can I do this? Also is it really that hard to install the RE kit myself? Or do the 4x4 dealers just want the extra 1000 dollars for installation cost?

Shackles are probably the best option for the rear.

Installation depends on your experience. Can you wrench?

Welcome to the boards.

If you were quoted $1000 for that install, then that isn't too bad, because that's about what I would charge to install that kit. If you have tools or someone around to help, I highly recommend doing it yourself. Would be a very valuable lesson in learning your jeep, since you would be replacing dang near everything under it. I don't know if you got a SYE/CV driveshaft or not, but you will need them, no way around it. The RE 5.5" kit will sit 6.5" front and 7-7.5" rear and slowly settle to about 6-6.5" after some serious wheeling and time. The ACOS will help level the front with all that extra weight, and I would weight until after everything is installed before trying to raise the rear, because the rear will sit much higher than the front. I have installed this kit on many customers rigs as well as two of my own, and it sits way to tall as it is for anything smaller than a 35" tire. I would assume this is a street machine and you never plan to trim or take it offroad?

So u guys suggest waiting till it settles? Sounds like the right thing to do. But I do plan on taking it off road, I aready know i need the driveshaft and sye. If I was just going to keep it on the street I would just buy some crappy 6 inch lift. But hey I had another queston, would i need to get bigger shocks since i would be puting the ACOS spacer in the front?

riverfever said:
Shackles are probably the best option for the rear.

The RE kit already comes with a 1.5" lift shackle.

I agree with GBJ, it will sit tall in the rear out of the box. Drive/wheel it for awhile then decide how to level the back. One word of caution, make sure you are at trail weight before deciding how much lift to add to the rear. Also if an aftermarket rear bumper/tire carrier is in the works get that on there first.

There are ways to add lift to the rear, but I wouldn't do anything for a couple months. You could do a block, a set of Ubolt Eliminators, or a taller set of springs.

Bob

GottaBeJeep said:
I have installed this kit on many customers rigs as well as two of my own, and it sits way to tall as it is for anything smaller than a 35" tire.

im looking to do a 5.5 lift myself with 35's. I plan on trimming and putting on TJ flares. My question is, even after it settles will my 35's fit alright if i bumpstop and, like i mentioned, trim?

Rock Yacht said:
The RE kit already comes with a 1.5" lift shackle.

Bob

Ooops...sorry smoke.

Another vote for waiting for the parts to "settle" before starting to add...

IIRC the RE kit rides higher than advertised...

Depending on the coil stiffness...

you might not have to adjust the front...

if needed...

you should theoretically only need the ACOS.

smokeeaterXJ said:
Hey Guys,
Im getting a RE Long Arm kit for my 98 XJ, I am planning on running 33 tires. I want to get more boost on it, so I decided to buy the ACOS coil spacers for the front since im going to be running a heavy duty front bumper and winch anyway. But Im very confused about how to lift the back to level it off. I want another 1.5 inches on it. How can I do this? Also is it really that hard to install the RE kit myself? Or do the 4x4 dealers just want the extra 1000 dollars for installation cost?

Let it settle. If you only plan to run 33" tires, you won't need the extra spacers. If you trim and bumpstop, the 5.5" kit will easliy run 35's. Plus the higher you go the more trouble you will run into. My 2 cents.

hey guys, my 89 xj has the 7 inch re5.5 upgrade with 35 in tires and after a few rides it seems like my kit has sagged dramatically, a buddy of mine installed the 6.5 rustys long arm kit and he has to be some 2-2.5 in taller after same amount of time. i also got the acos but am not sure how to or if i should install it. rear bumper and carrier coming soon.

I am also planning to do the RE 5.5" LA kit...

Are you guys saying that there is quite a rake right out of the box?

I installed the RE 5.5 lift with T&T long arm upgrade and found it to actually sit a tad bit lower in the back then the front. Its strange that others have found it to be the exact opposite. Here is a pic of it a couple of days after I lifted it, I bought a set of Terraflex rear 1.5" shackles because they are alot longer then my RE 1.25" shackles that came with the kit.

IMG_0458.jpg

What size tires are those?

Back