• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked Head :( Options?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, here's the deal. The head shop just called me and gave me the scoop on the head. It's cracked in two places (between the valves on numbers one and six cylindars), needs the intake valves replaced, eight valve seats need replacement, and all the valve guides. The quote on that is $375 plus tax (which should put the total at $406!)

Anybody got any other options for me?

Sequoia

I would suggest a boneyard head, and having it rebuilt.

The idea of attempting to make robust repairs to cracks in a head seems somewhat shakey, especially when used heads from boneyards are probably relatively cheap.

I agree about the repairing cracks...it doesn't quite sound right to me either. As for a bone yard, I'm going to try to scrape up a known good one first, thanks for that link Den!

www.car-parts.com

One crack might be worth trying to fix. Two ... that's double jeopardy. Look for one from a yard, and get prices on reman heads from Auto Zone and Advance Auto (or Kragens or whoever you have in your part of the world).

Getting a boneyard head is not that much of a gamble.

Most boneyards will guarantee that a head can be rebuilt, if so stated when you purchase it. (In other words, if the head proves to have cracks and cannot be rebuilt, they will give you another in exchange.)

None the less, getting a head from a fellow Jeeper is a better deal, assuming you don't have to ship it. I don't want to think what UPS would charge to ship a cast iron in line six cylinder head!!

I bought a new long block for my brothers '89 XJ a few years back from this outfit for 1100.00. They also sell rebuilt heads for 186.00 + shipping which seems pretty reasonable. There is also a core charge so you might need a rebuildable core to send back, give them a call and see. They appear to have a pretty good warranty also. My brother has 90k miles on the engine so far so workmanship appears to be pretty decent.
Jeep Auto Parts Store Online

Bone yard heads aren't that much. I would not have a cracked one repaired if I could find a good one.
In Moab two years ago I had a problem with a head. I had one overnighted from a salvage yard in Denver to Grand Junction, ported, and machined with my valve train parts for about the same as your shop quoted you.

BTW: My head problem was due to two replaced valve seats shifting. I will never again have valve seats replaced in a head.

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

Mine was cracked and unrepairable so I got one from AutoZone. $200 (with core exchange, even a cracked core) and I have had no problems since...

Back