• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skid?

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
Who makes the best product with the least amount of clearence lost? Search and only found two companies, has to be more than that. Skid-row and DPG. For 97 or newer XJ

DPG for sure! Excellent skid. I have dropped my whole rear end on mine numerous times, and barely wore through the powder coat! They are extremely strong, and simple to install too.

Rustys also makes a skid. A skid plate for the gas tank doesn't have to be extremely fancy, just enough metal to keep from bending in. 1/4" plate is pretty good, and 3/16" is pretty good as well, so just take your pick.

xjj33p3r said:
Rustys also makes a skid. A skid plate for the gas tank doesn't have to be extremely fancy, just enough metal to keep from bending in. 1/4" plate is pretty good, and 3/16" is pretty good as well, so just take your pick.
1/4" plate for a gas tank skid!!!
OMG, I couldnt even imagine how much that would weigh.

yeah I am pretty sure 1/4 inch is a little overkit... you use 1/4 for the heavy duty part of bumper and stuff.... 3/16 would still be a little thick I would say... 1/8 would probably be best.

I really like my DPG, also known as Rock Lizard Fab, and it works with my Rigidco RbA rear bumper.

740330_18_full.jpg

Greg

does anyone have one of those DPG skids on with a hitch? Also, I have heard all about DPG, but when I do a search on how to get one ordered, I can't find them. Help?

LilRedRover said:
does anyone have one of those DPG skids on with a hitch? Also, I have heard all about DPG, but when I do a search on how to get one ordered, I can't find them. Help?

It was designed to be used with a hitch, which I did until I put my bumper on.

Greg

I ordered my DPG Skid yesterday! I asked them about the rear hitch and they said shouldn't be a problem. He specifically mentioned that the Draw-Tite fits perfect.

Glen

LilRedRover said:
yeah I am pretty sure 1/4 inch is a little overkit... you use 1/4 for the heavy duty part of bumper and stuff.... 3/16 would still be a little thick I would say... 1/8 would probably be best.
no way i would just use 1/8", at least 3/16"

Ramsey said:
no way i would just use 1/8", at least 3/16"

I dont think you will find any fuel tank skids thicker than 3/16" and probably about half of them are going to be 1/8".

MontanaXJ said:
I really like my DPG, also known as Rock Lizard Fab, and it works with my Rigidco RbA rear bumper.

740330_18_full.jpg

Greg

Can't quite tell, but does it bolt above or below your bumper? Do you have any pictures of the frame rail area where the two (bumper and skid) would be near eachother? Thanks

Ray H said:
I dont think you will find any fuel tank skids thicker than 3/16" and probably about half of them are going to be 1/8".
not thicker, but i would use 3/16" most likely

53guy said:
Can't quite tell, but does it bolt above or below your bumper? Do you have any pictures of the frame rail area where the two (bumper and skid) would be near eachother? Thanks

The skid plate goes between the frame rails and the bumper bracket of the Rigidco RbA.

740330_260_full.jpg

Greg

I dont really mean to Hijack your thread, but does anyone know of a hitch that will fit over a Rustys skid? My U-Haul hitch is too narrow to fit over the plate.

Thanks, and no I am not going to sell it and buy a different one.

I just installed the rockwerks gt skid. It fits really well and works perfect with my hidden hitch. The only thing I am concerned with is that it bolts to the gas tank hangers, so it is esentially hanging. It certainly could not take a significant amount of force before the hangers bend or break. I'd imagine it would be fine for just banging around on rocks or whatever.

Back