• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 vs D35 brake drum & shoe?

I know that the wheel cylinders are not the same! 10 bux for 35 vs. 25 bux for the 8.25!!!

Not sure if the shoes are the same though. Just look at the part numbers for the two different shoes for the two axles and see if they are the same.

The D35 uses a 9" shoe, I know that a 10" shoe is also listed for my 2000 XJ so thought this may be for the 8.25. We dont get the 8.25 here in Aus so am not 100% sure though.

Cheers
Steve

Pretty sure that the 8.25, here at least, was equipped with the 9 inch drums and that the 10" ones only came with the Dana 44 axle. I have heard the Dana 44 was used more extensively on export models. Just by roughly looking at them, the drums and shoes look identical, I haven't looked into the subject thoroughly. I'm also trying to line up a disc replacement for the 9" drums, anybody parting out a ZJ?

I'm pretty sure the d35 I pulled out of Haleyes's rig had the 10" drums. It is a 96, with the police package. JIM.

bajacalal said:
Pretty sure that the 8.25, here at least, was equipped with the 9 inch drums and that the 10" ones only came with the Dana 44 axle. I have heard the Dana 44 was used more extensively on export models. Just by roughly looking at them, the drums and shoes look identical, I haven't looked into the subject thoroughly. I'm also trying to line up a disc replacement for the 9" drums, anybody parting out a ZJ?
Nope.

XJs with the Dana 35 through 1989 (I think -- might have been 90) had 10" x 1.75" rear brakes. The AMC Model 20 axle in the 86 MJ and the Dana 44 rear axle got 10" x 2.5" rear drums. The later Dana 35s (1990 or '91 and newer) got the same 9" x 2.5" rear drums as the 8.25 axles.

98/99 drums are 9 x 2.5" for both the 8.25 and D35 axles and have the same part number for the drums and shoes. The Police Package used 10 x 1.75 drums. (Sales code AHB)
98 D35 will fit 99 8.25.

Andre

Back