• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small coolant leak - upper left radiator

Nihil

NAXJA Forum User
there is a small stream of coolant leaking from a fitting in the upper left hand corner of the radiator. its hard to see in the picture, but the rubber gasket shifted to one side and the leak sprung out the opposite. should i just loosen the bolt, center the gasket, and hope it doesnt move? any suggestions?

108815124_97c7cc5870_o.jpg

ive stumped everyone with this? maybe because i didnt include specs, 94 4.0. anyone have the part number for this gasket?

That looks like some sort of drain plug, but why would be on the upper left side of the radiator?

If its leaking from a gasket, umm, replace the gasket. In this case, like you mentioned, you may get away with loosening the fitting and retightening it with the gasket reseated better.

trying to move it back into place hasn't helped, the rubber is just shot. so it needs to be replaced.

my guess is it's a fitting for a tranny cooler line? can someone confirm this so I know what part to get?

I doubt its a tranny cooler line, there would be no coolant in a tranny cooler line, otherwise your tranny oil would be mixing with coolant if you had an atuomatic transmission, perhaps if the tranny cooler corroded away and leaked this would be the case.

Have you tried to pull the rubber gasket and take it too the local hardware store and find an "O" ring or gasket making material that you can make your own gasket?

I'm sure it's not - but that looks an awful lot like a drain fitting to me...

Tranny coolers are usually fairly short, and fittings won't go "outside" the hoses like that. Otherwise, the cooling element in the tank will interfere with coolant flow, or just starve the pump.

I'd get some sheet cork or neoprene, cut it to size, and apply a little RTV Black to it before I put it in. If you're not going to use that fitting for anything (you don't, do you?) then the "permanent" solution is the easiest.

I'd be very interested in knowing what that fitting is for - like I said, I don't think it's for a tranny cooler (at least, it would not make sense,) and it looks too much like a drain valve. Additional sensor, perhaps?

5-90

that is the fitting for the fan switch on early XJs. Many aftermarket rads come with a plug if the switch hole is not required. Simply replace the gasket and you should be good to go.

yeah... left side, just above the lower hose... right where that shot is taken...

otherwise, its the auto tranny cooler fitting..

Ah - the perspective is a little funny. However, I see the airbox entry tube.

Isn't that big honkin' thing at the right a radiator cap? I didn't think that HO radiators had that fitting for the RENIX TFS - unless it's been added recently?

Or am I mistaken?

5-90

Back