• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Fog Light Switch Replacement

cpd004

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the dealer to buy a new fog light switch today to replace my factory one as when the switch is on the fog lights don't turn on. I figured it was the switch as I jumped it and they came on.

The parts guy said that there is a revised wiring harness from Mopar that is to be used for replacement and that I would need to buy it as well or I'd have problems again. The kit was $200 so I passed.

Does anyone here have info on what the repacement harness looks like or what changes are involved. If I can, I'd like to make my own and save some cash.

I had my fog lamps installed last year on my 2000 XJ. The gave it a whole new harness and did not use the one in the car already. I asked why and they said that the old one sometimes burns out the switch and that this new one will fix this. As I look at the harness it runs in the dash and then to the the fog light. Also the colors of the wire have change except for ground and the backlight for night use. The whole kit with fogs and all was $111.00. So I do not think that harness price is right unless I got some pkg deal. If you have the part number. I can check it out and see if the price is right with my dealer.
Alex

Did that cost include the labor, or did you do the install yourself? I have a 2001 and would like to have the fog lights installed. Thanks.

BCKNBLK,
That was just for the kit, I am not sure on labor, but If I remember it was somthing like $98.00 bucks for install. The reason I did not install it myself is it was a surpize gift from my parents. If you would like the exact price payed with install I can dig it up for you. If you do get them installed, I recomemed taking out the cheap baffles that are in them. It makes them brighter and they are still street legal.
Alex

Today - the complete kit costs $164.95 - New Lights - and wiring harness and switch. If ya get it from Jeepsareus part number cfogscomp.

Labor is $100 at my stealership having them do the install.

Geeze, go buy the add on kit at jeepsareus.com, takes about an hour, maybe two to install. Does not use ANY of the factory installed wiring, comes with relays, switch and new switch panel, you already have the lights.

2000XJSPORT,
Are there some sort of baffles inside the lens housing itself? Not sure what you mean by the baffles. Price sounds reasonable for the kit, though. Id install it myself.

Has anybody checked to see if there was a recall or service bulitan concerning this? If there was a problem with the factory harness then I would think that Jeep would be fixing it at no charge for customers who already have the lights in use.

BCKNBLK,
In the factory fog lamps you will see a metal curved shape baffle in front of the bulb that is use to dim the lights down for fog use. Since I do not see much fog and I would like more driving light. I removed the baffles in each one. Here is the article I found on how to do this. It is very easy and takes no time at all. Also you do not have to remove the light to do this, but since you are installing them you can do this first. Any questions feel free to ask.
Alex

http://jeepin.com/features/morelight/index.asp

Last edited:
Back