• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feasible design for a rear bumper spare tire carrier?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear bumper for my XJ made by AJs Offroad Armor. The bumper is great, but the only thing it lacks is a spare tire carrier.

The bumper mounts to the unibody rails with a pair of nut strips. There are two D ring tabs on the bumper, which very beefy.

I made a rough drawing in MS Paint which I think may be a feasible tube design which would allow me to add a spare tire carrier to my bumper.

You can see my deisgn at http://www.imagegalore.com/images/6wb37441.jpg

Let me know what you think. The ovals are aux lamps and the middle is a Class III receiver. The tubing would run through both d ring tabs with a couple bends to clear the aux lamps and receiver.

I'm not sure I'm understanding how that's going to swing. Given where the hinge is, and the fact that you've got what appears to be solid metal pieces coming out of BOTH sides of the hinge, it looks to me like it's going to hit over on the left side.

Of course, I could just be looking at it wrong.

90Pioneer said:
I have a rear bumper for my XJ made by AJs Offroad Armor. The bumper is great, but the only thing it lacks is a spare tire carrier.

The bumper mounts to the unibody rails with a pair of nut strips. There are two D ring tabs on the bumper, which very beefy.

I made a rough drawing in MS Paint which I think may be a feasible tube design which would allow me to add a spare tire carrier to my bumper.

You can see my deisgn at http://www.imagegalore.com/images/6wb37441.jpg

Let me know what you think. The ovals are aux lamps and the middle is a Class III receiver. The tubing would run through both d ring tabs with a couple bends to clear the aux lamps and receiver.

Go over the hitch and not under http://www.kejtar.com/XJ/tech/tireCarrier/DSCF3590.JPG

Yes nice taillite mod

Where i see the problem is the one hinge part. That is a lot of wieght to put in one spot maybe run a double hitch on top of the first one and square tubing the would enter tha reciever for the load. That would shorten up everything and give it a solid place to rest.

tweakado said:
Where i see the problem is the one hinge part. That is a lot of wieght to put in one spot maybe run a double hitch on top of the first one and square tubing the would enter tha reciever for the load. That would shorten up everything and give it a solid place to rest.
Idea is to tie it into the roof rack. At this point it has a little bit of play in it, but it's not bad.

So how are you tying it in to the roof rack a hinged lock device. i would like to see it. I am a big fan of fabrication and the promoting of thinking outside of the box. But would that not be a lot of flexing on your roof rack and then load stuff up top hit a hard bump and breakage could occur and off goes all the stuff just some thoughts.

tweakado said:
So how are you tying it in to the roof rack a hinged lock device. i would like to see it. I am a big fan of fabrication and the promoting of thinking outside of the box. But would that not be a lot of flexing on your roof rack and then load stuff up top hit a hard bump and breakage could occur and off goes all the stuff just some thoughts.
My roofrack is rather stiff: it's bolted to the roof using nutzerts in IIRC 8 spots per side (maybe 10?). So it's not going to flex much. The tie in is going to be some sort of a latch (on of the reasons I haven't done it yet is that I didn't have the time to think about it.

I'll get some pics of the swingout in the next couple of days. Been undecided on the latch setup but I think I finally have that narrowed down, parts are on order at least. First thought was to use the pin type latch but the last thing I want is it to egg out the hole down the road and rattle. The hinge uses oil impregnated bronze bushings top and bottom, face mount hinge. Eventhough he could weld this on I'm building it to be a bolt on mod which would work with any bumper with a 6" face.

apsdad said:
I'm building a swing-away tire carrier for mine right now. It will mount on the rear bumper that I built. As soon as I get it completed, I will post pictures on my web site. Pictures of my other fab projects can be found at http://home.windstream.net/rsolomon/jeep

Unless I am not seeing it, that is a very weak mounting setup. You have only used the stock 8 bumper bolts and they are just some captive nuts held on the back of the sheet metal. There is a very big reason why no towbar has ever just used these points if at all. They use the ones under the frame with a nut insert strip inside. You cannot use just the bumper mounts to tow or for recovery!

Back