• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking in front end.

XJSpencer

NAXJA Member #1400
I thought I had solved the front end clunking under load. My slip spline was way bad. I was down at the dunes yesterday and it's still there. U-joints are new with warn outers. Driveshaft just rebuilt. It seems to clunk at driveshaft speed. It has a front lockright.

What could it be? Lock right? Transfer case? Give me some ideas.

You have heim joints on your control arms? But you say its under load, is it constant or just occasional

RK Long Arm. It doesn't do it all the time. Only under load. For example, it does it when climbing a small hill in 4 wheel drive but not when decending the same hill.

I put it up on stands and I can hear it coming front the front output of the T-case and the front diff. I used a stethoscope while it was driving under a small load.(brakes)

Could a lock-rite do this?

Had the same issue with my front detroit. Only under load and most noticable climbing hills. Ended up being the locker. I sheared most of the internal gears (Teeth) on one side of the locker.
Take alook at your lock right. Or just stick a magnet in the diff case and see if you pull out parts that should be somewhere else. :shocked:

I checked the t-case chain by putting it in 4 wheel and drive and setting the e-brake and then checking the play in the front shaft. The shaft turns less than 1/2". I was told by a gear guy that the chain is tight if it has less than 1/4 turn of play.

Today I pulled the carrier and the lockrite. The lockrite seems good.(the teeth look good) I did a pin and spring kit on it. The lockrite is definitely tighter but the clunking is still present.

My brother the mechanic calls this Hocus Pocus Misdiagnosis! Imagine charging all these repairs to a customer....

The front CV hasn't been rebuilt and it seems like there is some play in one of the joints. Of course, when the shaft was rebuilt, he checked it and balaced it....

I need more ideas. I really hate odd noises. Especially noises I can feel.

Ideas?

Checked your motor mounts? I had a front end clunk that only happend going up hill or over obstacles. Turned out to be the DS motor mount.

John

nosigma said:
Checked your motor mounts? I had a front end clunk that only happend going up hill or over obstacles. Turned out to be the DS motor mount.

John

It could be. Maybe the added torque from the front .....The ds looks a little bad and while I was under the jeep, I saw a "loose" bolt on the motor mount bracket. I grabbed it and it came out in my hand. This bolt holds the Mount to the engine. It is one of three. It is sheared off. This could be it. I'll check more later.

Any more ideas?

my did the same thing, i also have a lock rite in the front.......ended up being the cv joint, it was gone.

passxj said:
I checked the t-case chain by putting it in 4 wheel and drive and setting the e-brake and then checking the play in the front shaft. The shaft turns less than 1/2". I was told by a gear guy that the chain is tight if it has less than 1/4 turn of play.

Is this a good way to check if the chain is stretched?

Well, I got it. It was the CV. T-case is noisy, but I dont think I can do much about gear noise. Maybe I should run Lucas in there. My noise was same as yours wvredxj.

Back