• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal going?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, back end of the oil pan, between engine and tranny is pretty wet, as well as bottom of the tranny pan. It all looks like oil. I haven't changed the oil in probably 5k (it's synthetic), and it's not leaking enough to be low. No puddles under the truck. It's parked in the same spot every day. Is this my Rear Main Seal going? If so, how long will it "seep" for, before starting to leak more volume. Does it need to be changed, or can I watch it, without having it blow out on my way to work!
Thanks!

Quick checks...

1) Clean the area thoroughly, and run it for 10-15 minutes. Recheck.

2) Pull the access/inspection/dust cover on the bellhousing (at the bottom,) and check the flexplate. If you see "streaks" of oil on the engine side, it's likely a rear main. If they're on the transmission side, you'll be changing the input shaft (manual) or front pump (automatic) seal.

3) Check the rear of the valve cover gasket as well - clean and reinspect. Often, the valve cover leaks at the back, and that can present as a rear main leak as well.

5-90

5-90 said:
Quick checks...

2) Pull the access/inspection/dust cover on the bellhousing (at the bottom,) and check the flexplate. If you see "streaks" of oil on the engine side, it's likely a rear main. If they're on the transmission side, you'll be changing the input shaft (manual) or front pump (automatic) seal.
5-90
Thanks for the info! I don't like the sound of the tranny seals...does the mean separating the engine/tranny??? That sounds like a lot of work, and $$$!
Thanks

I'm tracking down the same leak right now. I did the O rings in the oil filter housing last weekend and it helped a lot but I still have oil in the same spots you mentioned. I got hurt but plan on starting to look again soon, using all the suggestions made by 5-90. I looked in the manual and the oil rigns in the trans. actually look pretty straightforward to replace. There is no removal of the trans. All the culprits with our leaks are very inexpensive....just a royal PITA to 1. locate and 2. fix. Good luck. Will you let me know where your leak is at?

ChuckstrPT said:
Thanks for the info! I don't like the sound of the tranny seals...does the mean separating the engine/tranny??? That sounds like a lot of work, and $$$!
If it's the rear main, you can replace it without dropping the tranny. Hopefully it's either that or the valve cover... If it's a tranny seal then you do have to drop the tranny and you're right it's a lot of work to get to that point.

I'll call SPOBI on myself. Thanks for clearing that up Jim. I was guessing while looking at the manual. Sorry Chuck.

riverfever said:
I'll call SPOBI on myself. Thanks for clearing that up Jim. I was guessing while looking at the manual. Sorry Chuck.
No harm, no foul :sunshine:

Back