• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft driveline vibration....why??

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So ive had my 5" lift for about 6 months, and my tom woods CV shaft and sye for the rear and all that, and ive been vibe free and basically issue free the whole time. Then, i swap in my rear d44 in and regear both axles to 4.56, now we put the front stock driveshaft back in, and my jeep vibrates like crazy over 40 mph, we take the front driveshaft out and its smooth as butter. Why out of nowhere would my front driveshaft now cause vibration with no change to the front of the vehicle other than the regeared d30??

Last edited:
You've increased the rotational speed of everything (axles, u-joints, t-case, etc.) by switching gear ratios. If you have an SYE in the rear, some will allow you to put your rear d-shaft in the front. This will tell you if the front d-shaft is out of balance. I sent a front DS from TW back to have them to rebalance after the same problem occurred. That cured it.

This may not even be a d-shaft issue. Check u-joints etc. That's one reason lock-out hubs are so great on a 4x4.

incorect caster and pinion angle, and the now faster rotational speed makes the vibes. also going to a larger diameter driveshaft will help

you have to remember, your driveshaft is now spinning about 1000 rpm faster than it was before....

HeavyMetal said:
why would that make a difference? i havnt changed lift height
The two above posts is why....and is exactly the situation im facing...Swaped in axles with 4.88s with the incorrect pinion angles and i get TONS of vibes with the front drive shaft in place. With the 3.07s, it was not nearly as noticeable. Take it off and it drives as smooth as could be. Fixed control arms SUCK!!!! Ill put money on it that its the cause of your problem!!

so i go down to the place to have the DS balanced and they wanted 100 dollars for the quick job. No thank you. So am i just SOL here due to fixed angles?

HeavyMetal said:
so i go down to the place to have the DS balanced and they wanted 100 dollars for the quick job. No thank you. So am i just SOL here due to fixed angles?

If you don't wanna opt for the rebalance, then yes. Also, if the length is right, you can try to throw your rear shaft up front. If it still does it, then you know its not the shaft but your angles; which you cannot change with fixed arms. I would try this first regardless. If you pay to balance the shaft, and it still vibrates. Then you wasted a good chunk of change there.

Does your drive shaft have any give in it when you push it up and down or push and pull? Could have hollowed out the slip or wore off the splines? Just a thought.

Back