• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gettin ready for summer

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
First off. Yes I have searched a little. Not to hard, no time.

My 4.0 over heats to about the hash mark before the red, around 235ish, durning the summer months. My question is how much will a new thermostat, housing that lets more coolant in, and a new radiator help? Dont know if anyone has done this. Money is kind of an issue for me, and this seems to be the cheapest route. I can get a rebuilt aluminum 2core for 90 bucks, friend has one and it works great. Seeing how its 90 degress in DFW today, figure summer is around the corner. Best be prepared. Thanks for the input.

93 country, 4.0. Sock radiator fans. Burns a little oil and collant. 181000 miles.

Are you at 235 when on the trail at low speed or when daily driving? This makes a huge difference in what will work and what wont. It defines the speed at which you are hoverheating.

Have you tried R&R your system? Replace t-stat, radiator cap, fresh coolant, and backflush? You know regular maintenence type stuff.

All the R&R stuff is I am about to do. Its not as bad when I am on the trail or in traffic. But it still goes a little high then. When it overheats the most is at highway speeds, and or with the AC on. Hope that helps. Just trying to knock it down at least 10 degrees. I know 4.0 have a tendancy to run hot. I just dont wan it getting close the the red.

Back