• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel question...Searched 242 posts

DVM04

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I just signed up for your forum and am looking for a little help. I have a 1992 xj with a 4.0 that I am having trouble starting. I have just replaced the motor due to the fact its has 300k miles on it. Was driving for a few weeks and have had the typical slow start problems in recent past that did not change when I replaced the fuel pump.
However now I cant get the jeep started. Have plenty of spark but have very intermittant power to fuel pump. I have replaced the ASD and fuel pump relays, the fuel pump, the fuel filter, the ballast resistor bypass relay, have bypassed the ballast resistor and the replaced the ignition switch. I still turn the key to accessories and nothing to fuel pump. I am at wits ends, She just cranks with no fuel pumping. I am really left with fuses in the PCM and wiring. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again and am looking forward to the board....

First the the pump shoud turn on everytime you turn the key to run for 3 seconds only.
Is that happening?
I still turn the key to accessories and nothing to fuel pump.
The pump don't run in accessories, only run.

Everytime I turn the key to run, the pump does not turn on, I mispoke above when I said accessories. When it moves to run sometimes I hear it and sometimes I dont. When the pump cycles I can turn the key and it starts. Most of the time >75%, I never hear the pump turn on. That is the problem I am having....I have replaced everything in the circuit I can think of from the ignition switch to pump....Thanks for the help I appreciate it....

eric

DVM04 said:
Everytime I turn the key to run, the pump does not turn on, I mispoke above when I said accessories. When it moves to run sometimes I hear it and sometimes I dont. When the pump cycles I can turn the key and it starts. Most of the time >75%, I never hear the pump turn on. That is the problem I am having....I have replaced everything in the circuit I can think of from the ignition switch to pump....Thanks for the help I appreciate it....

eric
Here's a long shot, because I bought a nice XJ with the same problem.
I found that the power wire going to the pump was broken just after the plug near the gas tank. This thing was down for 2 years when I got for $50.00.
It looked like the wire got mashed by the rear bump stop or someone used one of those needle probes on the wires.
I noticed a fat spot in the wire and gave it a hard tug and felt it give a little, I cut it open and sure nuff the wire was broken, good luck.

I had a similar problem to Langer's on my 87, in which it would cut out every time I went over a big bump. The fault was in the rear harness. I think you're going to have to start tracing wires. It can be handy to start in the middle and work outward in either direction. For example, find the output of the fuel pump relay. Set up the light at the relay end. If it lights when the pump doesn't go on, it's in the wiring downstream (or the pump). If the light shows the problem it's upstream.

Heres a tip.
The wires go into the firewall connector as orange/black and on the otherside they are pink/black all the way to the connector in the back.

Update

Update, I pulled all the fuses and relays out of the pcm. Cleaned the whole thing and found I had power at the fuel pressure relay with the ignition in run, so I figured the problem was close to the pcm if not after it. Anwyay I cleaned everything and replaced all the fuses and relays. Turn the key to run and whalla, fuel pump kicks on....I turn the key and the engine starts sputters and dies....It keeps doing this. Can smell the fuel and still ahve spark. So I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it and the tps/iac.....Now it wont start at all, just sounds like it wants to, putters and dies....I have replaced the map sensor.....Any thoughts? We are getting closer to starting. I am happy with that. Tried pulling codes, got none....thanks

Well I thought I would try to look for spark one last time before I went to buy a fuel pressure gauge....So I have my wife crank the truck and I was watching for spark. Let me ask you is it normal for the distributor to wabble? I can watch teh whole disty actually move in an ablong pattern as it cranks....I think the bushings are shot and it needs to be replaced. Will keep you updated.

eric

DVM04 said:
Well I thought I would try to look for spark one last time before I went to buy a fuel pressure gauge....So I have my wife crank the truck and I was watching for spark. Let me ask you is it normal for the distributor to wabble? I can watch teh whole disty actually move in an ablong pattern as it cranks....I think the bushings are shot and it needs to be replaced. Will keep you updated.

eric
Thats not good did the bolt fall out?

The hold down clamp broke, its in two pieces, watched the oil gauge when it was cranking, and nothing so its popped form the disty. I am hoping to replace the disty and set the timing and keep my fingers crossed. Anyone have a disty hold down lying around?

You are problably correct. Is there a module in this disty? The manual is telling me its bolted below the coil, but I dont have anything there expect a ground wire bolted to the frame?

DVM04 said:
You are problably correct. Is there a module in this disty? The manual is telling me its bolted below the coil, but I dont have anything there expect a ground wire bolted to the frame?
Yes there is a Cam Position Sensor in it.

I think that comes with the new disty? Its should be the wire connector coming from the disty? I just pulled the old one and that hold down clamp is actally a part of the disty and not a separate clamp. That is a nice 75 dollar core charge down the drain. Anyway will keep you updated.

Well I replaced the disty in 15 degree weather and she started right up and is breathing on her own accord. Sputtering at idle a little that I think is fuel/sensor related. I think my iac is screwed and my injectors are shot with 300k miles. I think its going to take fine tuning now, but thanks for the help

Back