• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very Predictable Miss

SteveTC

NAXJA Forum User
Have an '88 4.0 automatic.
Every time I run it on the highway at 60 - 63 miles per hour, very light throttle, low load cruise situation, I get a very predictable miss. The motor never cut out completely, but starts misfiring. If I back off or step on it, it goes away immediately. When in this range of 1950 - 2100 RPM in overdrive is the only time it shows up. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve

that wouls be about the time EGR should be kicking in. Perhaps something related to that?

That could very well be. Check the EGR vacuum lines to make sure they aren't cracked (damn Nylon vacuum lines!) and you can source new ones from NAPA. They should be in their Echlin catalogue, compleat with pictures.

Failing that, I had a wicked flat spot in my 88 right about at cruise throttle (ca. 2500-3000rpm) and a TPS saw to that. The one I replaced was original - 18 years old and 247Kmiles. It was due...

Runs like a raped ape now!

5-90

Back