• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chop top...and before you say it, i looked and looked for this

vajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
ok well last sunday my bud got in a wreck...so being the nice guy i am im goin to his wreck and out of the blue the ambulance that was going to pick him up hit me and did six thousand dollars of damage to my jeep....so i want to chop it behind the second set of doors...i would also like to seal the bed and cab..

anyone know where or who i can get (detailed) instructions or advice from????

Thanks,
Vajeeper

vajeeper said:
anyone know where or who i can get (detailed) instructions or advice from????

step 1.
Drive/trailer to Alabama

Step 2.
Dropp off at Blue Torch Fabworks

Step 3.
wait 3-4 weeks

Step 4.
Pick up newly chopped / exoed / linked cherokee

Step 5.
make payments

Step 6.
enjoy!

rock rash said:
remove windows, remove rear hatch, load sawzall, mark line behind second set of doors, and cut.

xjchop3.jpg

xjchop4.jpg

xjchop5.jpg

xjchop7.jpg

What he said, but with pictures for those too lazy to read. :wave:

I'm doing mine shortly (the one pictured there is just a parts/scrap XJ I have that I'm practicing on), and I'll be using an MJ tailgate in the rear. Cutting is the easy part, making it look good is the challenge, and I'll be doing that with a vengeance.

vetteboy said:
Cutting is the easy part, making it look good is the challenge, and I'll be doing that with a vengeance.
what, cutting or making it look good?

<p>i just looked through all the chopped tops on xjdb.com, and still didnt see one that used a 97-01 hatch, it seems like even for the older body style this would be easier to find than the back of a comanche cab, which is about as rare as it could be around here</p> <p> </p> <p>Am i missing something big here, or can somebody at least assure me that it would work to do this, rather than a comanche cab?</p>

i also realize that the body lines wouldnt match up perfectly on the corners with an old body cherokee, but this would be on a 99, so that shouldnt be a problem right?

awspence said:
<p>i just looked through all the chopped tops on xjdb.com, and still didnt see one that used a 97-01 hatch, it seems like even for the older body style this would be easier to find than the back of a comanche cab, which is about as rare as it could be around here</p> <p> </p> <p>Am i missing something big here, or can somebody at least assure me that it would work to do this, rather than a comanche cab?</p>

i also realize that the body lines wouldnt match up perfectly on the corners with an old body cherokee, but this would be on a 99, so that shouldnt be a problem right?

you're telling me that you are going to take the top off of a cherokee with a Sawzall/grinder/whatever and then attempt to re-align the body with the rear hatch from a 97+ and you want someone to confirm that the corners will match up?

for christ's sake! if it lines up - great! if not - you just cut the shit outta your body - Take a fawking sledgehammer to it and make it line up!

it might be prudent to save the rear foot of roof in its entirety if you want it to look nice - then cut 11" forward of where you want the cab to stop, then weld the existing matching cornered roof to that piece...

Maybe I dont understand your question...

Hey, I did a google search last week and found a guy that did one over a weekend it looked pretty good. Dont remember the site but he had pictures and a few details. I just bought a 93 zj couple weeks back that was rolled by a couple kids with a full keg in the rear. Guy I go it from did a terrible job on the cutting. Cut it behind the front doors! I am looking at making a cage and leaving the windshield. I may just get a peice of steel and weld into the back if I decide to cab it. If it fails at least I got a Motor Tranny and tcase pretty cheap! Good Luck! pm or email if want or need anything.

awspence said:

Copyof1-29-06006.jpg

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/member.php?userid=38097

XJ_ranger said:
you're telling me that you are going to take the top off of a cherokee with a Sawzall/grinder/whatever and then attempt to re-align the body with the rear hatch from a 97+ and you want someone to confirm that the corners will match up?

for christ's sake! if it lines up - great! if not - you just cut the shit outta your body - Take a fawking sledgehammer to it and make it line up!

it might be prudent to save the rear foot of roof in its entirety if you want it to look nice - then cut 11" forward of where you want the cab to stop, then weld the existing matching cornered roof to that piece...

Maybe I dont understand your question...

you dotn understnad my question, but its ok, what i was saying, is i would imagine that it might be cheaper for all these people using mj cabs all cut up to make a rear window for chopped bodies, to just use a newer hatch,

i dont even have an older style cherokee, i was just asking a general question, i have a 99, and i know it would line up on mine:) , i just was wondering why ive never seen an older one with a newer hatch welded on

Maybe you haven't seen one because nobody has posted one of it online yet, I'm sure that some one has done it out there. I'm planning on doing that to mine when I can find one at CHEAP price. Also using a early CJ drop tailgate behind that. I'll post pics when I'm done

Back