• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro Assist problem

rokjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing my PSC hydro assist kit. I am trying to bleed the system and am having some issues. With the ignition on (motor NOT running) I can turn the steering wheel and the tires follow just fine lock to lock. As soon as I fire it up and try to turn the wheel, there is resistence and then the tires turn the wrong way.

Info: The fixed end of the ram is mounted on the axle on the pass side. The extended end is mounted on the tie rod itself toward the driver side. The line from the fixed end of the ram goes to the lower tapped hole in the steering box, the line from the extended part runs to the top tapped hole in the box.
The box was tapped according to Billavista's Pirate write up. The box is a stock 98' XJ box.

Are the lines X'ed up or is it just not bled all the way? Wouldn't it not turn properly even without power if the lines were X'd up or not? Any idea's??????

remove one of the bolts on the ram and try it disconected
that way you can tell real easy if the lines are x'd

BRIANHO13 said:
remove one of the bolts on the ram and try it disconected that way you can tell real easy if the lines are x'd

I would recommend that as well just to make sure your ram isnt pushing left when you turn right. FYI you can not bleed it corretly untill the ram and the tierod are bolted together. with one end of the ram not connected you can play with it like that but you will notice you pump will go enpty and over flow, once fully installing it the over flow issue will go away and you can finish bleeding it by cycling the steering left-right several times.

Yep, just switch the lines. You had a 50% chance of getting the lines hooked up the right way. :)

Back