• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's or 32's?

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a susp lift for my bone stock '96 XJ, Auto, 4.0L, 4x4 w/ 96K miles. I want to buy the lift after the size tire I want to run - and I'm really debating 31x10.50 or the 32x11.50 tire size. I'd like to keep it in the 3-4" range and am not afraid of a little fender trimming to give it a LCG stance. I want to put a locker in the Chrysler 8.25. Would 32's necessitate a gear change for optimal performance? How about 31's? It's not going to be a hardcore rockcrawler, just a backcountry explorer that takes me to work everyday. Your thoughts are appreciated, especially those of you running either 31's or 32's. Thanks...

That's the identical setup I have. I installed the rusty's 4.5" lift and run 31" bfg's with the swaybar disconnected, I get all kinds of fender rubbage. I'm going to have to trim with 31's, I dunno about 32's. IF you do lift 4.5" I would recommend their sye kit /w the TW driveshaft. I can run 75-80 all day long /w no vibes what so ever. I have 3.55 gears and wish I had 4.56 or better.

check out some action photos

http://www.croswyndcrew.com/lonnie/cassville_mo_2005.htm

31's, 3-4" lift, Auto. Generally runs fine, but wont maintain 75 with any sort of headwind, any at all. No rub at all. SYE was the absolute best $500 I ever spent. Trans drop is bad news, exhaust system vibrations, cracked manifold. SYE put the driveline back where it belongs and made it quiet enough to hear the proverbial pin. Considering 4.10 next.

my brother went with the same approach - lowest COG he could live with.

so he went with RE's 3.5" lift and 32's with trimming AND bumpstops to fit...

PICT6804.jpg

it works out really well.

so now that means i have to step up to 33's with my 4.5" lift :D

CoastieJ said:
I'm looking at a susp lift for my bone stock '96 XJ, Auto, 4.0L, 4x4 w/ 96K miles. I want to buy the lift after the size tire I want to run - and I'm really debating 31x10.50 or the 32x11.50 tire size. I'd like to keep it in the 3-4" range and am not afraid of a little fender trimming to give it a LCG stance. I want to put a locker in the Chrysler 8.25. Would 32's necessitate a gear change for optimal performance? How about 31's? It's not going to be a hardcore rockcrawler, just a backcountry explorer that takes me to work everyday. Your thoughts are appreciated, especially those of you running either 31's or 32's. Thanks...

I think it will be fine for offroading, because when you stick it in 4-Low, its like a little tank, and you should be able to pull around just fine. but it sounds like it might be a little bit stressful on the tranny during highway driving.

I'm getting ready to have my RE 3.5" lift all finished up and I am going to be putting on 31's. I will hopefully have it all done by next week. I will post some pictures when I'm done.

Jeeper

Last edited:
I'm currently just running a 2 inch lift with 31's. I trimmed the fenders and added the correct amount of bumpstop for my lift and never rub. It has to do with the backspacing of the wheels too. I have no problem with highway speeds, but like I said it's only a 2 inch lift for now. Even though I'm going to get a bigger lift soon, I still trimmed the fenders because it made my Jeep look more aggressive and there is so much room in those fenders that can be accessed with a little trim. That's my 2 cents...

fxdlrider said:
That's the identical setup I have. I installed the rusty's 4.5" lift and run 31" bfg's with the swaybar disconnected, I get all kinds of fender rubbage. I'm going to have to trim with 31's, I dunno about 32's. IF you do lift 4.5" I would recommend their sye kit /w the TW driveshaft. I can run 75-80 all day long /w no vibes what so ever. I have 3.55 gears and wish I had 4.56 or better.

check out some action photos

4.5 and you need to trim for 31's?? Where does it rub? Are you running any bumpstop extensions?? Are your lca's the correct length to center your axle in the wheelwell??

Not saying its unheard of at your hieght, but you shouldnt have trouble with 31's on a pre97 at 4.5 lift IMHO. Of course this is taking in concideration proper bumpstops, trackbar and lca's lenghts.

My LCA is in the stock mount, so they point downward at a good angle instead of straight forward like stock. When I stuff the tire into the wheel well, it pushes the tire forward and when I turn it will rub the front of the fender and flare. All I need to do is to trim the front fender even with the bumper and I'll get full travel. I'm running the stock bumpstops. Check out the link with the action photos. On a couple of them I pulled into a ditch and stuffed the left front and right rear. You can see how close the tire is when the wheel is straight. If I were to try and turn, it would rub.

Back