• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Round thing behind fender liner

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok I pulled out the inner fender liner and on the drivers side of my 98 there is a round thing that might be hooked to vacuum hoses? Obviously not a good place for it. So what is it and can I move it? Any suggestions on how or where?

I believe its a vacuum resivor for the cruise control and heater controls.

On mine it goes from the canister to a T for the cruise control, then to the heater box inlet, then over to the intake manifold. You can move it somewhere else, possibly up by the blower motor for the heater. You will just have to make some different vacuum lines. But make sure you 'hose' it up the same as what it was to begin with.

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't the windshield washer resevoir....

It's a vacuum reserve for the HVAC and cruise system, just as stated. The only time it really makes a difference in the vehicle is when the engine is operating at or near WOT (which would make for low vacuum in the manifold). It basically allows cruise to stay engaged when vacuum is low, and the hvac motors to operate under similar conditions.....

If you're going to move it, keep the lines from being kinked

chris1044 said:
It's a vacuum reserve for the HVAC and cruise system, just as stated. The only time it really makes a difference in the vehicle is when the engine is operating at or near WOT (which would make for low vacuum in the manifold). It basically allows cruise to stay engaged when vacuum is low, and the hvac motors to operate under similar conditions.....

If you're going to move it, keep the lines from being kinked

That should be behind the front bumper, passenger side.

FWIW, I had that removed for a while on my XJ while I was doing some bumper work (I've got a '94, it was mounted in the bumper on those years), and the cruise wouldn't hold a speed going up hill, as it didn't have enough vacuum to accelerate. Granted, it's a high mileage engine, so that could have a lot to do with it too.

98XJSport said:
Ok I pulled out the inner fender liner and on the DRIVERS SIDE of my 98 there is a round thing that might be hooked to vacuum hoses?

As already stated, there is not a vacuum cannister on the drivers side. If its white and molded to the inside of the fender it's the washer fluid reservoir. It has two little electric pumps on it.

So, Which is it?

XJjeepLess said:
Dam, wasn't paying attention, thought he was talking about the black canister mounted behind the bumper. Ohh well, now he knows what that is for.

I missed that part too...just saw the inner fender liner part

I dunno what it is, and I was in the dark doing the hacking. I just havnt run acrossed anyone mentioning it to be moved when you do fender trimming.

Hmm so there is. I hate working in the dark and cold.
Ok are they ok to leave? I wouldnt think so. Any good/easy place to move them to?

98XJSport said:
Ok are they ok to leave? I wouldnt think so. Any good/easy place to move them to?

Just bend the brackets on both forward.

98XJSport said:

I am not going to bother with the link to the pictures; you all seem confused beyond clarification. HOWEVER, the vacuum "ball" and the horn on the passenger side can be mounted to the gusset under the forward part of the fender. Note: this is not the brace that runs from behind the flare to the inboard side of the wheel well. If this doesn't quite jive with everybody's rig, think 1998, that will help.......................................some.

Re drill a couple holes as high as you can reach on the forward side gusset (stamped sheet metal triangle, read: three sided doughnut) opposite the frame rail. You will be able to rotate the vacuum unit up, out of sight w/o having to disconnect it. The horn, correctly identified as an electric apparatus earlier in this thread, can be located in a similar fashion. Shorten the OEM bracket, cutting works well here; bend and re-drilled for attaching to the previously identified gusset. Then mount the horn on the rear side of the gusset near the frame rail. For reference, most often the taillights (red) are at the rear of the vehicle; unless your transmission was installed backwards at the factory. Make sure to reestablish a good chassis ground. No, DO NOT use a screw long enough to run all the way to the ground, just remove any coatings on the metal surfaces at the point of reattachment. Failure to do so will result in what sounds very much like Farty Smurf, without the funny white hat of course.

IF, by some odd chance, anyone later determines that this thread was actually trying to describe the air box on the other side of the vehicle, well, never mind.

:lecture:

Bent said:
I am not going to bother with the link to the pictures;

:lecture:

You should have, woulda saved you alot of typing.

Img_2385a.jpg

That is the horn. There is a mate to it on the passenger side. YOu can move it wherever you like just make shure to leave the open end pointing in a direction that will allow water to escape, and perferably protected from excesive splashing.

Thanks you everyone, thats what I needed to know.

Back