• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting my bumper

BattyBlueXJ

NAXJA Member #1270
So i building my rear bumper and i had to go to the hardware store to pick up some more grinding wheels and i figured i would pick up some paint too. I was going to herculine it but i think that it collects dirt and mud easy and always looks bad when dirty(my jeep is always muddy)Correct me if im wrong. So now i just don't know if i should rattle can it or paint brush it. And also i dont know what would look better Mat Black (satin) or gloss black. If anybody has a pics or a suggestion that would be great i just cant picture how it would look. Pics of my jeep are in the below link if that helps. Thanks.

I used herculiner on mine. So far its been about 2 years and I haven't had any problems with chipping or peeling. I can't comment on how it cleans up because I haven't washed my Jeep since I built my bumper.
Heres a picture of how it looks.
DSC00018.jpg

Thats a sweet looking little lady ya got there. I like it and nice job building the bumper its self. Did you herc the tj fenders too? I think im going to paint one of my side quarter pertection part of my bumper herc and the other one flat black and compare but i think im going to do herc. My new rocker panels are herc and i was thinking about taking off the plastic stuff above the rockers and hercing that right up to the green. Ill post some pics when im done. Thanks a lot. Nice jeep man.

not to hi-jack here. i'm trying to decide right now whether to rhino line my new rear bumper w/tire carrier, or just paint it. you guys who rhino lined yours, any steps on preping it so it would stick better? roll-on or spray on? thanks for any info ahead of time...

Not a prob. I would def rhino line the bumper. But its all a matter of taste. I herculined my rear bumper that i built and it looked so good i herculined from the two tone down just yesterday. I ripped off the tan molding grinded the paint off with a grinder wiped it down with a damp rag and rolled it on. the rougher the surface the better it will stick the directions say. Looks GREAT!! I wish my digital camera worked, id take pics for ya. Well best of luck.

if you use flat is will scratch easily. if you use gloss, it can be extremely difficult, and you must be patient or you'll get some orange peeling. i'd go with a satin, and apply it in very thin layers. i've had the best results using satin...it looks almost like powder coating.

Back