• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oily Air Filter Mod

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
Since the Heep has a hair over 203K miles, and is getting a little tired, I decided I was tired of cleaning my K+N air filter every 500 miles or so from all the oil build up.

First off I thought of moving the vent tube to the box itself, not the top of the lid where it is now, But the AF would get oily over time. So that idea was out. Since most older cars have push on breathers, I figured, why not make one. Well sorta.

Oily K+N
100_0771.jpg

Lots of oil buildup
100_0772.jpg

It was leaking out of the air box, down the frame, and on to the road. At least there are no stains in my driveway.
100_0773.jpg

Since I am cheap, I found some stuff laying around in the garage to use.

I shoved a 3/8" fuel hose in the bigger end, which fit great.
100_0775.jpg

An empty Folgers coffee can works great. I painted it silver to match the duct tape I will use as a 'lid'.
100_0774.jpg

I added some cotton balls in the can to act as a filtering device. The fuel line was long enough to go into the middle of the can, so the balls will suck up the oil. Probably worhtless, but we will see in 3K when the engine oil gets changed again.
100_0776.jpg

I placed about 5 layers of duct tape on the top, because the coffee can lid was MIA. I cut a small hole so the fuel line would fit tight on the duct tape. Another small hole was added to relieve pressure, if any at all was built up.
100_0777.jpg

And the finished product. It sits on the in front of the blower motor. Zip ties can be added to hold secure, but its not going anywhere.
100_0778.jpg

I may have to move it back over to the AF lid when it comes time for emissions, but as a temp fix, it works great.

interesting Ghetto-Fab..... but there is an under-lying issue that you can address that will/should alleviate the oil blowback....

if crankcase pressure is blowing out the big tube into the air box (it should pull clean air into the engine) the smaller hard line that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body is probably clogged with carbon and $hit.. might be inside the tube, but is probably under the valve cover itself in the chamber that the tube plugs into.

do a search for BLOW BY and you should find alot of discussion on this as well as better instructions on how to remedy the problem.

You can have a ton of blowby even with a clean CCV system. I'm doing a 4 cyl carbed emission cannister on the side of my 4.0L. It has 3 lines on it and is sort of shaped like the coffee can. I'll have to add a drain back to my oil pan to allow the liquid to go back in, but my motor still runs strong with 240,000 miles on it.
The valve cover air goes into the top of the cannister on one side, and the bottom has a return line for liquid with a light vapor hose out the top going to where the stock one goes on the filter housing.

Back