• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax Thrush Turbo Muffler?

I am running a DynoMax catback system in my '98 XJ. Works rather well and is not loud. Has a nice tone at idle. Not sure if it uses the same model muffler you posted.

my 2 cents get a flowmaster original flows 40. thats what i use combined with a magnaflow HIGH FLOW cat and theres a world of a difference plus the opened up air intake. i get alot of compliments on my sound.

also alot my friends have the super 40 flowmaster and it has a deeper grunt of the start and is designed to out flow the origianal 40 but i like my set up better.

if you want flow and not to be loud, get the he delta flow flowmaster 40. but what ever you do. make it a flowmaster

enjoy

the thrush muffleres are crap, i ripped about 4 of them off my jeep before i went with the "dog di*k" glass pack, sounds ok, strong as all hell

I won't be doing any serious off-roading. Mostly pavement, washboard dirt roads, and sometimes the beach in Mexico :).

Basically, I'm looking for something cheap, quiet, and low backpressure.

bdtsr said:
I am running a DynoMax catback system in my '98 XJ. Works rather well and is not loud. Has a nice tone at idle. Not sure if it uses the same model muffler you posted.

X2

...as a matter of fact, I just replaced my Dynomax system, with a new Dynomax system on Tuesday. It's a decent system. It lasted 3 years in the salt belt, and the $125 I spent was the same price as the OEM replacement system from NAPA.

prb24 said:
...as a matter of fact, I just replaced my Dynomax system, with a new Dynomax system on Tuesday. It's a decent system. It lasted 3 years in the salt belt, and the $125 I spent was the same price as the OEM replacement system from NAPA.
Ok great. How loud is it? How would you compare the sound to an OEM muffler? Much louder? Deeper? Does it make that loud blap-blap-blap noise when you are gunning the motor? I know it's hard to describe sound, but this is a daily driver, and my wife and I just had our first baby. Anything you could tell me would be much appreciated.

When you first installed the dynomax system, did you notice an increase in power? What about gas mileage?

Last edited:
Not much louder, but throaty enough to know something's there. I'd say in between a Flowmaster and stock. It's definetely not too loud, our Jeep is the "family car", complete with two car seats, and neither my wife (who get's to drive it more) or myself feel that it is too much.

Power? I don't know...maybe a little. When I put it on the 1st time, I did a tune-up with Accel parts, and put in a K&N in the same day, and I noticed a little more ooomph. Could have just been that it really needed a tune up.

I got that Thrush muffler just a few days ago and threw it on my jeep. Doesn't sound too bad actually. I also got mine from Advance for $20 so it was a cheap swap since my stock exhaust was bent.

RyleyF said:
I got that Thrush muffler just a few days ago and threw it on my jeep. Doesn't sound too bad actually. I also got mine from Advance for $20 so it was a cheap swap since my stock exhaust was bent.

That was probably the one with the shorter body (14 inch case length, 18.5 inch overall length). I called the Dynomax tech support line Friday, and the guy on the phone said the longer bodies (20" case, 25" overall) are even more quiet. Just some more info in case anyone else is interested.

Yeah...the muffler's probably as big as stock.

This is the system I got from Summit.

It has a nice stainless tip too. One thing I noticed, for the guys running extended shackles, you might have some pipe to spring clearance problems. The pipe has a slight outboard bend right before the tip. I'm at stock height, so no problems, but the exhaust exits right below the shackle.

Back