• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 wont start when hot/shuts off when driving

hizroyalty

NAXJA Forum User
well i hae been having some crazy issues with my jeep....if i start it early in the morning when its cold it will fire eright up,if its been run for a while,sometimes it wont fire back up....spark and fuel,but no start....however if i keep cranking and floor the gas it will blow out massive smoke and fire up,so i am thinkin its the tps staying open and flooding it....also would the tps cause it to stumble and or shut off when drving??if i slow down to say 10 mph or so and then hit the gas again sometimes it will either sound like its gonna shut off and run again,or just shut off...after that sometimes it fires right up,sometimes it wont...when it shuts off it still has battery power cuz the radio will come back on after it shuts down....i dunno iam lost....also i noticed that the voltage will drop sometimes too....the other night i was driving,came to a light,and the voltage started to drop...got it to my freidns house where i was going,shut it off....then it wouldnt start like i explained b4,then it blew out the smoke and started, and then drove home voltage was fine...until i slowedd down and it almost shut off again...it didnt luckly but since then havent started it...gonna go check a few things but ne imput is greatly appreciated...thx

whoa, slow down there bud...
A few things:
You need to post what engine and transmission you have.
It makes a post much easier to read when it's not one gigantic sentence.
Paragraphs and lists are your friends.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?
Search for "stalling" in that link, you'll likely find out everything you needed to know about your condition.
Now, assuming it's a 4.0
the CPS can fail intermittently, usually after it warms up.
The TPS can also cause issues like you describe.
The IAC could be the cause of stalling when you stop with an auto
The coil may not be generating proper spark voltages at idle due to a failing battery or alternator.
Welcome to NAXJA

sorry about the paragraph...

tps is fine
cps is fine when cold,havent chekced when hot
battery is fine
alternator is fine

i am pretty sure i fixed the problem, was just a shorting ground i couldnt see at first....if u have ne other suggestions that would b great just in case

Sounds like you're driving my Jeep, LOL. Mine was doing the same thing. The power wire to the ballast resistor was grounding out. The wire runs from a block in the corner of the firewall on the drivers side, it was grounding out there. Check that.

Chris

Back