• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another high NOx thread

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Failed smog today.

'94 XJ 4.0L
4.88s in the diffs, 35" tires
Turbo City air tube, Banks header
replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires a couple weekends ago

Searching, it looked like some people say a dieing cat causes high NOx, some say running lean.

I had 14.8% CO2, 0.2% O2. My HC and CO emsissions were within the limit, but NO failed at 15MPH (623 ppm / 517 max) and was close at 25 MPH (724 / 770).

I'm inclined to blame my cat, as it got some loving from rocks over the summer, but is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks.

Phil said:
Failed smog today.

'94 XJ 4.0L
4.88s in the diffs, 35" tires
Turbo City air tube, Banks header
replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires a couple weekends ago

Searching, it looked like some people say a dieing cat causes high NOx, some say running lean.

I had 14.8% CO2, 0.2% O2. My HC and CO emsissions were within the limit, but NO failed at 15MPH (623 ppm / 517 max) and was close at 25 MPH (724 / 770).

I'm inclined to blame my cat, as it got some loving from rocks over the summer, but is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks.

That's a failing catelytic converter for you. . . switch it out and you'll be fine.

If the readings go higher, make sure you have factory spark plugs for your engine! 1 heat range hotter will jack the numbers like crazy!

Agreed on the cat.

Remi's dad's XJ failed for the same reason. A new cat later, and it passed.

Back