• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trac bar

jamnxj

NAXJA Forum User
on my 97 xj the trac bar is making a poping sound. the sound is from the end that attaches to the frame. can i replace just that joint or do i need a new trac bar? any good brand i should use? i am running 31s on 3inches of lift.

The OEM track bar is one piece. You have to replace the entire unit. Best price is probably Quadratec, $44.95.

If you think you may be going to a lift in the future, spend a bit more and get Rusty's adjustable track bar. The standard duty one uses a replaceable tie rod end, so the next time you wear it out you don't have to buy the whole bar. And in the future you can upgrade to the heavy duty frame mount without replacing the bar itself -- just the end.

RE also has an adjustable track bar, but my understanding is that theirs won't work if you have less than 3" of lift. Rusty's is good down to stock height.

I tried both the RE trac-bars at various times. With the standard duty one, I didn't have any problems at 3.5". Lost that one in a wreck and replaced it with their HD trac-bar and mount. It drove really nice because the mount lowered the point it mounts to on the frame and made the bar more parallel. At 3.5" though, the HD trac-bar hit the diff every time I flexed, so then I went to a Tera-Flex trac-bar. The Tera-flex doesn't lower the mount point like the RE HD one, so it doesn't feel as good on the road, but it's arched so it misses the diff no matter what lift height you have, and it's adjustable without removing the end, which makes it easier to center the axle when the trac-bar is already installed, without having to remove and put it back on several times to get it right. If I had to buy one again, I'd probably try Skyjacker's, because it raises the mount point on the axle, and thus runs more parallel and should have a better feel to it, and since it runs from the top of the axle, it shouldn't hit the diff like the RE one did. Just my $.02 if you're looking to upgrade since you have to replace.

Back