• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v6 to v8

i think the north star bolts up to the v6 bell housing. but for sure you can use a 3.1 or 3.4 rwd v6 chevy engine or maybe a 3.8 out of a f body.

Oatmeal said:
If I'm not mistaken, that's the same as an SBC (?) ......Hans
correct, the 4.3 is a 90 degree block.
You need a 60 degree block to bolt up to that tranny.
3.1, 3.4 and there was a 3.8 in some olds or something like that.
Likely candidates are the 3.4 RWD motors from a camaro or an s-10.
www.lunghd.com
somwhere in the tech section of that website is all about the v6 swap.

4.3 and 350 are the same engine, just less two cylinders. Same bellhousing, same lifters, rockers, pistons, rods, pushrods, timing chain, valves and springs.
The 3.1 is a great swap replacement for the 2.8. same engine just with aluminum heads and more displacement, I think it is a bigger bore. Much more power, much better engine.

I am currently doing the 3.1 swap in my 85 XJ.
Some notes:
Flywheel will need to come from your original 2.8 and must go to the machine shop and be neutrally balanced.
It will be also easy if you use all the accesories from the 3.1 off the front of the engine since the water pump from the old motor will not bolt to the 3.1 timing chain cover( just found this out today.)
Swap the pully off of your old smog with the 3.1 cause the crap on the back of the 3.1 wont clear our motor mounts.
You will need a electric fan also since the 3.1 would spin it backwards with the serpentine belt.
You will need an electric fuel pump too. Look for one with 4-7 psi. We only need 6.5 for our carbs(unless your going to use the fuel injection)
Swap the distributor.Again, if your using the carb.
I am currently trying to figure out how to use the 3.1 power steering because it has too high of pressure for our steering box.
That is all that I can think of at the moment.
~Rich

Back