• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How about the Rusty's offroad Rock Rails??

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get some tough, high clearance rock rails. I saw rustys rails on the internet, and I want to know what you think about them. I want to get these.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...tys&Product_Code=XJA-20&Category_Code=xj_skid

:repair: It says that It will provide unibody ridgidity. For those of you that have them, how do you like them, how are they holding up, and how much does it strengthen the body? In your opinion does it do as good as job as a specifically designed chassis stiffener.

I do like the look of those... I run the 4real steel rockrails and love them... they have the wrap up protection that comes right to the bottom of the door... I've had the entire weight of the vehicle on one side and slid right across the rock I was on.

What do those things run?? Like $300 at shipping!! Screw that- my advice if you are going to buy rails would be from someone like AJ from AJ's offroad armor. Great guy who will give you the shirt off his back and makes a flat out great product with an outstanding price. You can get AJ's rails for almost $100 less and they are better.

I made my own rails for a grand total of $95 but that's me, with a welder, bordom and cheap as all get out.

I wouldn't take one of Rusty's T shirts on the trail for fear of it falling apart!

I just ordered up the JCR sliders. The stage 2's are only $225 but not sure on shipping, it was a bit more for me due to my location. Good guys to work with also.

i also have the JCR sliders. i think they are stage II, a 2x4 3/16" rocker with a tube welded to it to keep you off trees. Basically identical to AJs. I compared mine to a friend's AJs sliders, and the only difference is the mounting feet at the frame rails. Got mine for $255 shipped this summer, and painted them with POR-15 and rattle can.

NCCherokee said:
i also have the JCR sliders. i think they are stage II, a 2x4 3/16" rocker with a tube welded to it to keep you off trees. Basically identical to AJs. I compared mine to a friend's AJs sliders, and the only difference is the mounting feet at the frame rails. Got mine for $255 shipped this summer, and painted them with POR-15 and rattle can.

So do they seem to mount beeter or just different than AJs?

I live within an hour of Rusty and I won't even open the link to his site, lol.

GirlScout1 said:
What do those things run?? Like $300 at shipping!! Screw that- my advice if you are going to buy rails would be from someone like AJ from AJ's offroad armor. Great guy who will give you the shirt off his back and makes a flat out great product with an outstanding price. You can get AJ's rails for almost $100 less and they are better.

X a million.

Rustys makes great stuff but Aj WHENEVER possible! Ive never been dissatsfied with his products.

Detour said:
Unsure how they make the 'stiffening' claim without showing how they
attatch....
You aren't biased at all are you...HeHe :D jk

I don't see why this product would be worse than any other choice. As to cost, if you add the cost of a frame stiffener AND a set of rock rails together as suggested, I'm betting it's more.
Till you Add a cage, start climbing rocks the size of your house, running 38's, or trying to hang a set of D-60's under the XJ, Any generic frame stiffening will be a benifit.
Once you take the mods to the high end, you'll be building you're own stuff to keep the poor unibody together.

gcurtis...they were picked-n-shipped 2 hrs ago, told the driver to take the long way back to the warehouse....BwaaaHaaaahaaaa...

NHextremeXJ...I'm actually curious.....(???)

I ran Kevin's sliders for a while and liked them, but some issues came about later, not with the rails but with my build up.

I went to drop brackets, which interfered with the mounting points of Kevin's sliders. On top of this, where I wheel tight twisty turns are the norm (slot canyons) and I was getting way too much frame flex without stiffening. After some modification and consideration, it was time to go the next step and do both frame and rails.

Hence giving Detours my money. I could have built them myself, but why deal with the hassle when Mark has a good rep, the price is right and the product get rave reviews? As far as I know, his are the only complete frame and rail system on the market.

GirlScout1 said:

AJ's all the way as far as rock rails go.

AJ's all the way. Just installed mine. AJ was great to work with also!

My vote is for jcroffroad.com 's I installed the stage II and they are great!

Save your money and get JCR's

Back