• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from 2wd to 4wd?

.dotfortune

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ Country Aw4. Its got the 4.0 Litre engine, and its only 2wd. (Bear in mind that I am very new to most of this stuff...) I was wondering How to get 4wd, and\or what the options are.

I have heard of getting the whole front end of a different 4wd and replacing all the parts, but I was wondering if there was any way to get 4wd out of somthing like a bolt-on kit.

Any help would be appreciated....

Use the Search function....

You will need the following at least:
4wd Transmission (output shaft and housing are different)
Transfercase
front axle same ratio as you current rear end
Front and rear drive shafts
Transfer case linkage
PB Blaster

I bought a second XJ parted it out for what I needed and sold the rest, If you can get all the parts cheap or at no cost it may be worth it, otherwise sell yours and by a factory 4x4.

Conversion is do able, but could get costly if you pay alot for your parts.

I've done it on my 89! It's not that big a deal, it's a lot cheaper to buy a donor vehicle rather than the parts to do it. It's a weekend job so allow for downtime on your ride! You'll also need a longer speedometer cable and all the hardware for your t-case shifter.

I have heard of getting the whole front end of a different 4wd and replacing all the parts, but I was wondering if there was any way to get 4wd out of somthing like a bolt-on kit.
Thats as close to a bolt on kit you will ever find.

Back