• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC 360 Parts

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I sent my short block to a machine shop to get all cleaned up and have an RV cam put in. I am running into 1 problem. The heads that are on it might be cracked over the 8 cylinder. If that is the case (waiting to hear back) I am going to get a new set of heads. I cannot find any alumminum ones though (b/c these stockers weigh about 20-40 pounds). I already have an aluminum intake and water pump and new valve covers from summit. If anyone knows where I can find a set of heads let me know...and hopefully it is not outrageous...

IcedXJ said:
Okay so I sent my short block to a machine shop to get all cleaned up and have an RV cam put in. I am running into 1 problem. The heads that are on it might be cracked over the 8 cylinder. If that is the case (waiting to hear back) I am going to get a new set of heads. I cannot find any alumminum ones though (b/c these stockers weigh about 20-40 pounds). I already have an aluminum intake and water pump and new valve covers from summit. If anyone knows where I can find a set of heads let me know...and hopefully it is not outrageous...
edelbrock has a set of alum. heads for the AMC V8's
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/heads/amc_performer-rpm.shtml

If you are looking for Go-fast goodies for AMC, look at Performance American Style. They are very knowledgable about their stuff, willing to share said info, and have been around forever (see since 1972). They carry the Indy and Edelbrock heads and intakes. If they don't have it, can't get it, or haven't heard of it...it doesn't exist and/or isn't possible.

okay thanks guys. Crossing my fingers that the heads are okay though.

And anyone know if the stock headers or performance headers for an AMC 360 will fit a Jeep Cherokee XJ (1989) application?

Check out bulltear.com as well.
I wasn't able to find headers for my AMC 8 swap and had to make some blockhuggers. None of the manifolds I found would fit.

Bulltear will laser-cut you some flanges, that's probably your best bet unless you want to butcher two sets of headers to make one.

aluminum heads and such are rated for HIGH RPM output. 3000-7000 range. You will just be wasting $$, especially with the RV cam(read low RPM torque). The stock 360 heads flow great with just some minor port/polish. If you can, find a set of 390 or 401 heads in a junkyard. With any motor, you need to spend some time finding components that will work together for the target rpm/torque range. You can do quite well with edenbrock intake, carb, cam and timing. You might want to consider roller rockers for longevity as the AMC 360 is notorious for poor oiling. You should really consider doing the oiling mod in the lifter valley while you have it at the machine shop(they can drill and tap it easily).

yeah well i am waiting to hear from the machine shop about the heads. So you are saying I can use a set of 390 or 401 heads with the 360?

Oh yeah I forgot to ask. I know that pre-1979 AMC 360 used AW4s. I am curious to know if an AW4 from 1989 will fit a nice 1978 engine.

I think the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same for the AMC v-8s and the I6. Controlling it will probably have to be done manually. Look into brettm's kit.
awshifting.com

IcedXJ said:
yeah well i am waiting to hear from the machine shop about the heads. So you are saying I can use a set of 390 or 401 heads with the 360?

yes. I think only the valve size and/or the chamber size was different, so they'll bolt right up. you might want to check ou www.IFSJA.org for good info on 360 buildups. Most of the info you'll find there is meant for 4wd as opposed to speed parts for the rare AMC racer. the people over there are really nice too.

Back