• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" question..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well I just sold my 8.8 and looking to go 9" in the future. I was wonting to get an EB housing and go from there. Problem is the local yard has serously 25-30 F100-F150s with 9" rears, but I don't want to go full width, espeically since my hp d30 is staying for a long while.

So I have decided to go with a Currie housing and either get a skidded version or shaved. Anywas a few ?s.

1. What year fullsize Ford do I need to look for for a donar 3rd? Which has BB and nodular (if any?) Also tons of old cars at the yard too.

2. Will I have to get custom made axles if I want 60"(ish) WMS to WMS? Or would it be better to go EB width and run spacers (plus they'd convert t o5 on 4.5" for now).

if you want a 31 spline third, dont look at cars and look only at f-150's

the f-100's some of them are 31 spline, but most arent...

1984 was the last year for the 9 in pickups and 82 (if memory serves) was the last year for car 9's

here is some more info -
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Many of the F-100's did as well (not all but I've seen quite a few). It's the EB 9" that were more 28 splines. And even if you get one with 28 splines it should be very easy to swap it to 31 (31 spline carrier/locker and the right shafts and bearings)

If width is a concern get the full width (it's only 3" wider per side) and get some deeper backspaced wheels.

OR any axle/driveline shop can narrow the 9" and shorten the shafts.

What is your budget?

Are you set on piecing together a rear end?

If you start with a donor axle, how deap of a rebuild of the old parts are you gonna do?

If you are going to get a Currie housing, why not get a complete rear end from them? Depending on your budget, it could be cheaper(or easier) in the long run.

In your search for a 3rd member have you considered just getting a pre-assembled unit? You can get a complete rebuilt 3rd member with the gears and differential of your choice from lots of places. I got my 35 spline big bearing N case w/ Detroit and Daytona support from Complete Offroad.

Greg

ZachMan said:
So I have decided to go with a Currie housing and either get a skidded version or shaved. Anywas a few ?s.

If you are shaving your Currie, are you going hi pinion? If you are, realize up front that Currie, Strange Engineering and True Hi 9 are the only ones with the high pinion set up (no junk yard digging here), so you have to buy from them. Also, Currie and Strange run an 8.8 ring gear, which is plenty strong but what you just got rid of.

Back