• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87' J20, D44/60 combo question

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
done some research, found some Info saying dif things, but I'm looking for some definate answers...

found a 44/60 combo out of a 87 J20 with a 360..
This is what I do know...
their 8 lug, sprung under, the 44 is driverside drop, and locking hubs..

I wanna know width, spline count's, possibly gear options, disc or drum (may be asking to much Info)

Also I read a few dif opinions on the D60 being offset? Is It or no?

would like to make these work under a XJ with the 231, aw-4, 4.0L...anyone done It with write-ups?

Thanks, Much appreciated

D-44 should be 30 spline inner and 19 spline outer. ~66" WMS to WMS

D-60 should be 30 spline shafts. Same width (or close to) as the D-44.

Disc front drum rear.

Gearing options stock were 3.07, 3.54, 3.73, and 4.10.
Gearing options aftermarket are the same as any low pinion D-44 or D-60 (there's a LOT of choices)

I don't believe the later model FJS's had offset rear diffs...and if they are it should not be offset much... maybe a couple inches. Not like the older ones (pre-1980 I believe) where the rear end was WAY offset to one side. So this would be no issue for you.

Should be a very good setup I'd say up to 37" tires which may push the D-44 a little depending on terrain and driving style...the rear could handle even more.

Last edited:
nice, sounds pretty good besides the offset rear, will that cause any problems? Just for what I'd like to run....36x13.50's...

Like I said...IF the rear is offset it will only be a couple inches at most (it's the older ones pre-1980 that are very offset.) and will not cause you a problem.

I'm using a widetrac waggy front D44 with Dodge 8 bolt outers. I think a wide trac waggy is the same as a J20. My diff measures 65" WMS-WMS. The rear is a D60 from a Dodge 3/4ton, also 65" WMS.

ITs a nice width is not not quite fullsize like using an F250 diff but it is definatly wider than the stock stance and give the rig much more stability. I'm running 36"X13.5 IROKS. The wider stance is also useful for straddling ruts.

I was worried that the wider stance would give trouble being too wide on the trail but so far its been fine.

117_1777.JPG

The funky flares make it look wider than it is. ;)

THe 'widetrack' wagoneer axles are not as wide as the truck axles or the 'cherokee chief' axles.

In 1975 the waggies went to 'widetrack' which is the 60" front 58.5" rear. And at the same time the trucks and chiefs went to the ~65" wide axles.

how bout the front and rear 44's from a J10 that are 6x5.5 bp? What width on them? I know their 30 spline, driver drop front...manual hub fronts...

043500 said:
THe 'widetrack' wagoneer axles are not as wide as the truck axles or the 'cherokee chief' axles.

In 1975 the waggies went to 'widetrack' which is the 60" front 58.5" rear. And at the same time the trucks and chiefs went to the ~65" wide axles.

When I say "wide trac waggies" its the Cherokee Chief axles that I really mean. My front D44 is from a wide trac Cherokee Chief, 65" WMS.

Gotcha. I've always thought 'widetrack' to mean when the FSJ's and CJ's went from 'narrow track' to 'wide track' axles. I guess you could say the J trucks and chiefs went to 'wider' track axles. LOL

The 74 up FSJ trucks and Chiefs had the exact same front axle widths, only difference being bolt pattern and brakes on the 8 lug.
The rear in the 70s was slightly offset to the passenger side by about 4" and the 80 and newer stuff was either centered or slightly drivers offset by an inch or two.
The only difference in the J10 and Chief rears was the spring pad and shock mount location.
The fronts went from passenger side to driver's side in 80. That's when they started using the New Process transfer cases, 208-219-228-229.
The D44 that was used in them was 30 spline at the diff and 19 at the hub. The D60 was also 30 spline.
The AMC20 was 29 spline but had a D60 sized pinion gear with an 8 7/8" ring gear, heavy tubes, good casting center, and one piece axle shafts. Basically it was the version that was everything the CJ version should have been. The only real weak point of the AMC20 is the stock carrier. If you put an ARB, Ox, Detroit, or LSD in it, you won't have a problem. Just my 2 cents on a very overlooked rear axle.

Back